Analytical approach to robust design of nonlinear mechanical systems
- 69 Downloads
The robustness of mechanical systems is influenced by various factors. Their effects must be understood for designing robust systems. This paper proposes a model for describing the relationships among functional requirements, structural characteristics, design parameters and uncontrollable variables of nonlinear systems. With this model, the sensitivity of systems was analyzed to formulate a system sensitivity index and robust sensitivity matrix to determine the importance of the factors in relation to the robustness of systems. Based on the robust design principle, an optimization model was developed. Combining this optimization model and the Taguchi method for robust design, an analysis was carried out to reveal the characteristics of the systems. For a nonlinear mechanical system, relationships among structural characteristics of the system, design parameters, and uncontrollable variables can be formulated as a mathematical function. The characteristics of the system determine how design parameters affect the functional requirements of the system. Consequently, they affect the distribution of system performance functions. Nonlinearity of the system can facilitate the selection of design parameters to achieve the required functional requirements.
Keywordsrobust design nonlinear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Taguchi G. Taguchi on Robust Technology Development: Bringing Quality Engineering Upstream. New York: ASME Press, 1993Google Scholar
- 4.Ramakrishnan B, Rao S S. A robust optimization approach using Taguchi’s loss function for solving nonlinear optimization problems. ASME Advances in Design Automation, 1991, DE-32(1): 241–248Google Scholar
- 5.Ramakrishman B, Rao S S. Efficient strategies for the robust optimization of large-scale nonlinear design problems. ASME Advances in Design Automation, 1994, DE-69(2): 25–35Google Scholar
- 6.Taguchi G, Chowdhury S, Taguchi S. Robust Engineering. McGraw-Hill, New York, 2000Google Scholar
- 9.Lin X. Actual Practice of Taguchi Methods. Shen Zhen: Hai Tian Press, 2004 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Cheng L Z. Robust Design. Beijing: China Machine Press, 2000 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Cohen, Edward D, Brookling G, Edgar B. Modern Coating and Drying Technology. NewYork: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1992Google Scholar
- 12.Satas, Donatas, ed. Web Processing and Converting Technology and Equipment. Van Nostrand Reinhold Company Inc, 1984Google Scholar
- 13.Booth, George L. Coating Equipment and Processes. New York: Lockwood Publishing Co Inc, 1970Google Scholar
- 14.Tatsurou, Sirai. Flow Analysis and Imitation of Reverse Roll Coating. 2007Google Scholar