Mutual influences in growth and reproduction between pine wood nematode Bursaphelenchus xylophilus and bacteria it carries
The interactions between pine wood nematode and three bacterium strains isolated from the nematode, Bursaphelenchus xylophilus, which are two strong pathogenic bacterium strains, Pseudomonas fluorescens GcM5-1A and Pseudomonas putida ZpB1-2A and a weak-pathogenic bacterium strain, Pantoea sp. ZM2C, were studied. The result showed that the strong-pathogenic GcM5-1A strain and ZpB1-2A strain significantly increased fecundity, reproduction rate, and the body volume of the adult nematode. Meanwhile, pine wood nematodes significantly promoted reproduction of the two strong-pathogenic bacterium strains. However, the weak-pathogenic bacterium strain, ZM2C, completely inhibited reproduction of pine wood nematodes. Aseptic pine wood nematodes significantly inhibited reproduction of the strain ZM2C. The results indicated that mutualistic symbiosis exists between pine wood nematodes and the two pathogenic bacteria it carries. The phenomenon showed that the pathogenic bacteria carried by the nematode were not accidentally contaminated, but rather had existed as symbionts of the nematode with which it had coevoluted over a long period. The role of mutualistic symbiosis in the process of pine wilt disease was also discussed.
Keywordspine wood nematode (Bursaphelenchus xylophilus) pathogenic bacteria mutualistic symbiosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guo D. S., Cong P. J., Li L., Zhao B. G., Determination of bacterial number carried by a pine wood nematode and culture of aseptic nematodes on calli of Pinus thunbergii. J. Qingdao Univ., 2002, 15(4): 29–31 [郭道森, 丛培江, 李丽, 赵博光, 松材线虫携带细菌数量的测定及无菌松材线虫的培养, 青岛大学学报 (自然科学版), 2002, 15(4): 29–31]Google Scholar
- Han Z. M., Hong Y. D., Zhao B. G. A study on pathogenicity of bacteria carried by pine wood nematodes. Plant Pathol., 2001, 51: 683–689Google Scholar
- Liang B., Preliminary studies on the toxins produced by the pathogenic bacteria carried by Bursaphelenchus xylophilus, Master’s Thesis, Nanjing Forestry University, 2004 [梁波, 松材线虫携带致病细菌产生的毒素的初步研究, 南京: 南京林业大学, 2004]Google Scholar
- Paracer S., Ahmadjian V., An Introduction to Biological Associations, Inc: Oxford University Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- Zhang H. L., Lin X. J., Zhao B. G., Effects of hormones on browning and propagation of calli in Pinus thunbergii. J. Shangdong Agr. Univ., 2002, 33(4): 413–417 [张海兰, 林晓佳, 赵博光, 激素对黑松愈伤组织褐变和增殖的作用, 山东农业大学学报 (自然科学版), 2002, 33(4): 413–417]Google Scholar
- Zhao B. G., Guo, D. S., Gao R., Guo J., A preliminary study on the relationship between the bacterium isolate B619 and pine wilt disease. J. Nanjing For. Univ., 2000a, 24(4): 72–74 [赵博光, 郭道森, 高蓉, 郭建, 细菌分离物 B619 与松材线虫病关系的初步研究, 南京林业大学学报, 2000a, 24(4): 72–74]Google Scholar
- Zhao B. G., Guo D. S., Gao R., Observation of the site of pine wood nematode where bacteria are carried with SEM and TEM. J. Nanjing For. Univ., 2000b, 24(4): 69–71 [赵博光, 郭道森, 高蓉, 松材线虫携带细菌部位的电镜观察, 南京林业大学学报, 2000b, 24(4): 69–71]Google Scholar