Preparation of sound ribbons with submicrometer-grained microstructure on a Mg–Zn alloy
- 49 Downloads
In this paper, a viable way to fabricate Mg alloy sound ribbons with ultra-fine-grained microstructure was presented. The hot-rolled and annealed Mg–0.4Zn (at%) alloy exhibited excellent rollability to form sound ribbons with submicrometer grains when subjected to one-pass cold rolling process. The more balanced multi-mode dislocation slips originated from the significant decrease of critical resolved shear stress for non-basal slip with the addition of solute Zn and the favorable crystallographic orientation were suggested to be responsible for the excellent cold rollability. The formation of ultra-fine-grained microstructure was attributed to low-temperature dynamic recrystallization occurring during the cold rolling process with large strain.
KeywordsMg–Zn alloys Cold rolling Microstructure Texture
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51171120). Xing-Hao Du thanks LEM3 UMR7239 CNRS and the Laboratory of Excellence on Design of Alloy Metals for Low-Mass Structures, Université de Lorraine, 57045 Metz, France for the visiting scholarship.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Meyers MA, Mishra A, Benson DJ (2006) Prog Mater Sci 51:427–556Google Scholar
- 2.Estrin Y, Vinogradov A (2013) Acta Mater 61:782–817Google Scholar
- 3.Belyakov A, Sakai T, Miura H et al (2002) Acta Mater 50:1547–1557Google Scholar
- 4.Chang CI, Du XH et al (2007) Scr Mater 57:209–212Google Scholar
- 5.Sun HQ, Shi YN, Zhang MX et al (2007) Acta Mater 55:975–982Google Scholar
- 6.Akhtar A, Teghtsoonian E (1969) Acta Metall 17:1351–1362Google Scholar
- 7.Agnew SR, Yoo MH, Tomé CN (2001) Acta Mater 49:4277–4289Google Scholar
- 8.Sitdikov O, Kaibyshev R (2001) Mater Trans 42:1928–1937Google Scholar
- 9.Sun HQ, Shi YN, Zhang MX et al (2007) Acta Mater 55:975–982Google Scholar
- 10.Agnew SR, Mehrotra P, Lillo TM et al (2005) Acta Mater 53:3135–3146Google Scholar