High-precision bio-replication of synthetic drag reduction shark skin
- 1.5k Downloads
Nano-long chains were grafted over the replicated micro-grooves of shark skin in a novel attempt to replicate bio-synthetic drag reduction structure with high precision through synthetic bio-replication. Pre-treated shark skin was used as casting template to prepare a flexible female die of silicone rubber by soft die formation. A waterborne epoxy resin was then used to graft long-chains of drag reduction agent and prepare a synthetic drag reduction shark skin with nano-long chain drag reduction interface and lifelike micro-grooves. Replication precision analysis shows that this technology could replicate the complicated three-dimensional morphology of a biological drag reduction surface with high precision. Drag reduction experiments show that the material had an excellent synthetic drag reduction effect, with a maximal drag reduction rate of up to 24.6% over the velocities tested.
Keywordssynthetic drag reduction high-precision shark skin synthetic bio-replication micro-groove nano-long chain
- 4.Bechert D W, Hoppe G, Reif W E. On the drag reduction of the shark skin. In: Davis S H, Lumley J L, eds. AIAA Shear Flow Control Conference, 1985 Mar 12–14, Boulder, Colorado. Berlin: Springer-Verlag Press, 1985. 1–17Google Scholar
- 6.Rohr J, Anderson G W, Reidy L W. An experimental investigation of the drag reducing effects of riblet in pipes. In: Sellin R H J, Moses R T, eds. Drag Reduction in Fluid Flows: Techniques for Friction Control. Chichester: Ellis Horwood Limited Publishers, 1990. 263–270Google Scholar
- 14.Wang C, Yan Y R. Modification of Polymer Materials (in Chinese). Beijing: China Textiles Press, 2007. 7–12Google Scholar
- 15.Zhu Y D, Meng Q W. Fauna S, Cyclosyomata, Chondrichthyes (in Chinese). Beijing: Science Press, 2001. 123Google Scholar
- 16.Fen S Y, Zhang J, Li M J, et al. Organosilicon Polymer and Its Application (in Chinese). Beijing: Chemical Industry Press, 2004. 132Google Scholar
- 17.Zhang H L, Zhao H L, Jiang M D, et al. How to make a good use of polyacrylamide (in Chinese). Coal Process Compr Util, 2009, 2: 8–14Google Scholar
- 18.Cao Q F, Song W S, Zhu C C, et al. Summarization on research of di-butyl phthalate. Chin Adhes, 2007, 16: 47–49Google Scholar
- 19.Zhao Z H. The preparation of underwater self-lubricant bionic coating and its performance analysis (in Chinese). Dissertation for the Master Degree. Harbin: Harbin Engineering University, 2007Google Scholar
- 21.Li G P. Theoretical research of some key problems on oil and gas drag reduction agent and the application and development technology (in Chinese). Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Jinan: Shandong University, 2008Google Scholar
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
Open AccessThis is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0), which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.