Relationship between Arctic Oscillation and Pacific Decadal Oscillation on decadal timescale
- 135 Downloads
The relationship between the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and the Arctic Oscillation (AO) on decadal timescale in the extended winter (November–March) is investigated in this study. The results indicate that AO plays an important role in the low frequency variability of PDO. When AO leads PDO by 7–8 years, the lagging correlation between them becomes the strongest with correlation coefficient 0.77. The leading decadal variability of AO pro-vides a valuably precursory signal for predicting the variability of PDO. The results of regression and lagging correlation reveal the possible mechanism for the AO-PDO coupling: A strong AO would lead to an enhanced Aleutian Low that is linked to PDO by ocean-atmosphere interaction in the North Pacific, and vice versa.
KeywordsPacific Decadal Oscillation Arctic Oscillation Aleutian Low
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhang, R. H., Levitus, S., Structure and cycle of decadal variability of upper-ocean temperature in the North Pacific, J. Climate, 1997, 10: 710–727.Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, H. J., Zhang, Q., On the decadal and interdecadal variability in the Pacific Ocean, Adv. Atmos. Sci., 2003, 20(2): 173–184.Google Scholar
- 5.Li, C. Y., Xian, P., Atmospheric anomalies related to interdecadal variability of SST in the North Pacific, Adv. Atmos. Sci., 2003, 20(6): 859–874.Google Scholar
- 6.Mantua, N. J., Hare, S. R., Zhang, Y. et al., A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production, Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 1997, 78: 1069–1079.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhu, Y. M., Yang, X. Q., Relationships between Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) and Climate variabilities in China, Acta Meteo-rologica Sinica (in Chinese), 2003, 61(6): 641–654.Google Scholar
- 12.Seager, R., Kushnir, Y., Naik, N. et al., Wind-driven shifts in the latitude of the Kuroshio-Oyashio Extension and generation of SST anomalies on decadal timescales, J. Climate, 2001, 14: 4249–4265.Google Scholar
- 13.Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geopotential height and temperature fields, Geophys. Res. Lett., 1998, 25: 1297–1300.Google Scholar
- 14.Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., Annular modes in the extratropical circulation, Part I: Month-to-month variability, J. Climate, 2000, 13: 1000–1016.Google Scholar
- 15.Thompson, D. W. J., Wallace, J. M., Regional climate impacts of the Northern Hemisphere annular mode, Science, 2001, 293: 85–89.Google Scholar
- 18.Kalnay, E., Kanamitsu, M., Kistler, R. et al., The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project, Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 1996, 77: 437–470.Google Scholar
- 19.Zhang, Y., Wallace, J. M., Battisti, D. S., ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–1993, J. Climate, 1997, 10: 1004–1020.Google Scholar