PandaX: a liquid xenon dark matter experiment at CJPL
- 300 Downloads
PandaX is a large liquid-xenon detector experiment usable for direct dark-matter detection and 136Xe double-beta decay search. The central vessel was designed to accommodate a staged target volume increase from initially 120 kg (stage I) to 0.5 t (stage II) and eventually to a multi-ton scale. The experiment is located in the Jinping Deep-Underground Laboratory in Sichuan, China. The detector operates in dual-phase mode, allowing detection of both prompt scintillation, and ionization charge through proportional scintillation. In this paper a detailed description of the stage I detector design and performance as well as results established during the commissioning phase are presented.
Keywordsdark matter liquid xenon detector underground experiment time projection chamber
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Akimov D. Techniques and results for the direct detection of dark matter (review). Nucl Instrum Meth A, 2011, 628: 50–58; Gaitskell R J. Direct detection of dark matter. Ann Rev Nucl Part Sci, 2004, 54: 315–359; for more recent experiments, see talks at 2014 Dark Matter Conference at UCLA, https://hepconf.physics.ucla.edu/dm14/agenda.html ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.SuperCDMS Collaboration. Search for low-mass WIMPs with superCDMS. arXiv:1402.7137 [hep-ex]Google Scholar
- 8.LUX Collaboration. First results from the LUX dark matter experiment at the Sanford Underground Research Facility. arXiv:1310.8214 [astro-ph.CO]Google Scholar
- 9.XMASS Collaboration. XMASS detector. arXiv:1301.2815; Deap/Clean Collaboration. Dark matter search at SNOLAB with DEAP-1 and DEAP/CLEAN-3600. J Phys Conf Ser, 2008, 136: 042081; DarkSide Collaboration. DarkSide-50 Proposal, http://lartpc-docdb.fnal.gov/0005/000581/001/DarkSide50_DOE_Project_Narrative_FNAL.pdf CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Yalong River Hydropower Development Company, LTD. http://www.ehdc.com.cn/; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinping-I_Hydropo-wer_Station
- 13.Yue Q. http://wwwgerda.mppmu.mpg.de/symp/03_Yue.pdf, 2011; Kang K J, Cheng J P, Chen Y H, et al. Status and prospects of a deep underground laboratory in China. J Phys Conf Ser, 2010, 203: 012028; Normile D. Chinese scientists hope to make deepest, darkest dreams come true. Science, 2009, 324: 1246–1247; Feder T. China, others dig more and deeper underground labs. Phys Today, 2010, 63(9): 25; Li J, Ji X, Haxton W, et al. The second-phase development of the China JinPing underground Laboratory. arXiv:1404.2651 [physics.ins-det]
- 18.CAEN SY1527 & SY1527LC user’s manualGoogle Scholar
- 19.CAEN A1932A technical information manualGoogle Scholar
- 22.McCabe W L, Smith J C. Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering. 7th Ed. McGraw Hill Chemical Engineering Series, 2004Google Scholar
- 28.Wilson W B. SOURCES-4A. Technical Report, LA-13639-MS, Los Alamos, 1999Google Scholar