Observation of mitochondrial activity based on temporal and spatial pH variations measured by near-field fluorescent ratiometry
- 99 Downloads
A novel method combining dual wavelength fluorescent ratiometry with scanning near-field optical microscopy (SNOM) is proposed and developed to measure the concentration and distribution of protons in the vicinity of biological samples. This method involves immersing mitochondria in a pH-sensitive fluorescent dye solution instead of injecting the dye into the surface of the mitochondrial membrane. It uses a dual emission pH-sensitive dye and SNOM with a thermally pulled and metal-coated optical fiber probe to improve the spatial resolution. The time dependence of the fluorescence intensity ratio (FIR) under acid addition and the response of mitochondria to nutritional supplementation were studied by using this method. Activation of mitochondria and a distance-dependent delay in the FIR response were observed. The results confirmed that mitochondrial activity could be observed by using this method.
Keywordslocal pH pH measurement SNOM proton concentration mitochondrial membrane ATP synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Guyton Arthur C, Hall J E. Textbook of Medical Physiology. 8th ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Company, 2005. 331, 340, 711Google Scholar
- 5.Cremer M. Ueber die Ursache der elektromotorischen Eigenshaften der Gewebe, zugleich ein Beitrag zur Lehrevon den polyphasischen Electolytketten. Z Biol, 1906, 47: 562–608Google Scholar
- 9.Buckman J F, Reynolds I J. Spontaneous changes in mitochondrial membrane potential in cultured neurons. J Neurosci, 2001, 21(14): 5054–5065Google Scholar
- 14.Lewis A, Hamra P, Sukenik C. Near-field optical ZeptoLiter pH sensing at & above surfaces. Microsc Microanal, 2007, 13(Supp l2): 290–291Google Scholar
- 19.Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, et al. Molecular Biology of the Cell. 4th ed. New York: Garland science, 2002. 844Google Scholar
- 21.Palmer J W, Tander B, Hoppel C L. Biochemical properties of Subsarcolemmal and interfibrillar mitochondria isolated from rat cardiac muscle. J Biol Chem, 1977, 252(23): 8731–8739Google Scholar