Modeling grammatical evolution by automaton
- 107 Downloads
Twelve years have passed since the advent of grammatical evolution (GE) in 1998, but such issues as vast search space, genotypic readability, and the inherent relationship among grammatical concepts, production rules and derivations have remained untouched in almost all existing GE researches. Model-based approach is an attractive method to achieve different objectives of software engineering. In this paper, we make the first attempt to model syntactically usable information of GE using an automaton, coming up with a novel solution called model-based grammatical evolution (MGE) to these problems. In MGE, the search space is reduced dramatically through the use of concepts from building blocks, but the functionality and expressiveness are still the same as that of classical GE. Besides, complex evolutionary process can visually be analyzed in the context of transition diagrams.
Keywordsgenetic programming grammatical evolution finite state automaton model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ryan C, Collins J J, O’Neill M. Grammatical evolution: Evolving programs for an arbitrary language. In: Banzhaf W, Poli R, Schoenauer M, et al., eds. Proc of the First European Workshop on Genetic Programming (EuroGP98), LNCS, 1998, 1391: 83–96Google Scholar
- 4.Mitchell M. An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1996Google Scholar
- 5.Hopcroft J E, Motwani R, Ullman J D. Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation. 3rd ed. San Antonio, TX: Pearson Education, Inc. 2008Google Scholar
- 6.Aho A V, Lam M S, Sethi R, et al. Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools. 2nd ed. San Antonio, TX: Pearson Education, Inc. 2007Google Scholar
- 12.Dempsey I, O’Neill M, Brabazon A. Adaptive trading with grammatical evolution. In: Proc of 2006 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation. Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2006. 2587–2592Google Scholar
- 17.Pierce B C. Types and Programming Languages. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2002Google Scholar
- 21.He P, Kang L S, Fu M. Formality based genetic programming. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation. Hong Kong, 2008Google Scholar
- 23.Harman M, Mansouri S A, Zhang Y Y. Search based software engineering: A comprehensive analysis and review of trends techniques and application. Technical Report, TR-09-03, 2009Google Scholar
- 25.O’Neill M, Brabazon A, Nicolau M, et al. πGrammatical evolution. In: Deb K, Poli R, Banzhaf W, et al. eds. Proc. GECCO, LNCS, 2004, 3103: 617–629Google Scholar