Cross-lenticular lens array for full parallax 3-D display with crosstalk reduction
- First Online:
- 211 Downloads
As a 3-D display technology, stereoscopic imaging with lenticular lens sheet can only offer viewers the horizontal parallax. To reconstruct the 3-D image with parallax in both horizontal and vertical directions, the full parallax technique with micro-lens array was proposed. But due to the fabrication constraints and cost concerns of the micro-lens array, application of the full parallax technique is restricted in practice. In this paper we revisited the lenticular sheet method and cross-lenticular lens array formed by two lenticular sheets overlapped orthogonally. By analyzing the optical properties of this cross-lenticular lens array, we found that it has reasonable imaging qualities as a conventional micro-lens array. Besides, due to the poor optical property of the outskirt area of the cross-lenticular lens, the cross-lenticular lens array has better crosstalk suppression capability than the conventional one. Based on the analysis, in this paper, we used the proposed lens array to reconstruct a 3-D image and verified its practicability. The cross-lenticular lens array was found feasible to take the full parallax technique into commercial applications, with comparable advantages in terms of low-cost and easy fabrication over a large area.
Keywords3-D display full parallax cross-lenticular lens array cross-talk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Masahiro Y, Hiroaki S, Toshio H, et al. Automatic recording method for holographic three-dimensional animation. J Opt Soc Am, 1992, A 9: 1200–1205Google Scholar
- 5.Howard I P, Rogers B J R. Binocular Vision and Stereopsis. Oxford: Oxford Univ Press, 1995. 1–30Google Scholar
- 6.Sexton I. Parallax barrier display systems. Colloquium of IEE on Stereoscopic Television, 1992. 5/1–5/5Google Scholar
- 9.Son J, Saveljev V V, Kim D, et al. Viewing zones in multiview 3-dimensional imaging systems. In: Digital Holography and Three-Dimensional Imaging Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 2007. DTuC2Google Scholar
- 12.Son J Y, Choi Y J, Ban J E, et al. Multi-view Image Display System. U.S. Patent, 6606078, 2003Google Scholar
- 14.Skala V. Cross-talk measurement for 3d dispalays. In: Proceedings of IEEE 3DTV Conference on The True Vision — Capture, Transmission and Display of 3D Video, 2009. 1–4Google Scholar