Structural and functional insights into MCR-2 mediated colistin resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We are grateful to Dr Gary Wong, Hao Song, Shuguang Tan and Lifeng Fu for helping prepare the figures and revise the manuscript. This work was supported by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) Strategic Priority Research Program (XDB08020100), the External Cooperation Program of Chinese Academy of Sciences (153211KYSB20160001) and the National Key Plan for Scientific Research and Development of China (2016YFD0500305). George Fu Gao is a leading principal investigator of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) Innovative Research Group (81621091). The atomic coordinates and structure factors have been deposited in the Protein Data Bank with PDB ID code 6A7W. X-ray data were collected at beam line 17U of the Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility (SSRF).
- AbuOun, M., Stubberfield, E.J., Duggett, N.A., Kirchner, M., Dormer, L., Nunez-Garcia, J., Randall, L.P., Lemma, F., Crook, D.W., Teale, C., et al. (2017). mcr-1 and mcr-2 (mcr-6.1) variant genes identified in Moraxella species isolated from pigs in Great Britain from 2014 to 2015. J Antimicrobial Chemother 72, 2745–2749.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Anandan, A., Evans, G.L., Condic-Jurkic, K., O’Mara, M.L., John, C.M., Phillips, N.J., Jarvis, G.A., Wills, S.S., Stubbs, K.A., Moraes, I., et al. (2017). Structure of a lipid A phosphoethanolamine transferase suggests how conformational changes govern substrate binding. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 114, 2218–2223.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Graells, C., De Keersmaecker, S.C.J., Vanneste, K., Pochet, B., Vermeersch, K., Roosens, N., Dierick, K., and Botteldoorn, N. (2018). Detection of plasmid-mediated colistin resistance, mcr-1 and mcr-2 genes, in Salmonella spp. isolated from food at retail in Belgium from 2012 to 2015. Foodborne Pathog Dis 15, 114–117.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hinchliffe, P., Yang, Q.E., Portal, E., Young, T., Li, H., Tooke, C.L., Carvalho, M.J., Paterson, N.G., Brem, J., Niumsup, P.R., et al. (2017). Insights into the mechanistic basis of plasmid-mediated colistin resistance from crystal structures of the catalytic domain of MCR-1. Sci Rep 7, 39392.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Liu, Y.Y., Wang, Y., Walsh, T.R., Yi, L.X., Zhang, R., Spencer, J., Doi, Y., Tian, G., Dong, B., Huang, X., et al. (2016). Emergence of plasmidmediated colistin resistance mechanism MCR-1 in animals and human beings in China: a microbiological and molecular biological study. Lancet Infect Dis 16, 161–168.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Peleg, A.Y., and Hooper, D.C. (2010). Hospital-acquired infections due to Gram-negative bacteria REPLY. New Engl J Med 363, 1483–1484.Google Scholar