Structural studies of dicycloplatin, an antitumor supramolecule
- 164 Downloads
The solubility and stability of platinum-based anticancer agents have a direct bearing on their activity and toxicity. Much research has been conducted over the past decades in order to prepare drugs such as cisplatin and carboplatin with improved efficacy and reduced toxicity. Based on the premise that supramolecular platinum agents may have superior physicochemical properties, we successfully designed a novel anticancer agent, dicycloplatin, which has proven to be active against a number of human malignancies. The crystal structure of dicycloplatin has been determined. An aqueous solution of dicycloplatin was also studied using electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (ESI-MS). Based on the experimental observations, a model of the structure in aqueous solution is proposed which explains both the higher solubility and higher stability of dicycloplatin compared with carboplatin.
Kwywordsdicycloplatin crystal structure supramolecule anticancer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Loehrer PJ, Einhorn LH. Drugs five years later. Cisplatin. Ann Intern Med, 1984, 100: 704–713Google Scholar
- 5.Gordon M, Hollander S. Review of platinum anticancer compounds. J Med, 1993, 24: 209–265Google Scholar
- 8.Beck DJ, Brubaker RR. Effect of cis-platinum(II)diamminodichloride on wild type and deoxyribonucleic acid repair deficient mutants of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol, 1973, 116: 1247–1252Google Scholar
- 9.Drobnik J, Urbankova M, Krekulova A. The effect of cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum( II) on Escherichia coli B. The role of fil, exr and hcr markers. Mutat Res, 1973, 17: 13–20Google Scholar
- 18.Zhu ST, Mao GZ. Structure-antitumor activity relationship of platinum complexes. University Chemistry, 1990, 5: 58–60Google Scholar
- 20.DeLano WL. The PyMOL Molecular Graphics System (2002) De-Lano Scientific, San Carlos, CA, USA. http://www.pymol.org, 2002
- 21.Beagley B, Cruickshank DWJ, McAuliffe CA, Pritchard RG, Zaki AM, Beddoes RL, Cernik RJ, Mills OS. The crystal and molecular structure of cis-diammine-1,1-cyclobutanedicarboxoplatinum(II) [cis-Pt(NH3)2CBDCA]. Dynamic puckering of the cyclobutane ring. J Mol Struct, 1985, 130: 97–102CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.International Tables for Crystallography. Vol. C. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992. 700Google Scholar
- 24.Brunger AT. XPLOR Manual, version 3.1. Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1992Google Scholar