Normal forms of linear second order partial differential equations on the plane
- 35 Downloads
The paper is devoted to the theory of normal forms of main symbols for linear second order partial differential equations on the plane. We discuss the results obtained in the last decades and some problems, which are important both for the development of this theory and the applications. The reduction theorem, which was used to obtain many of recent results in the theory, is included in the paper in the parametric form together with proof. There is a feeling that the theorem still has potential to get progress in the solution of open problems in the theory.
Keywordsnormal form mixed type partial differential equation main symbol
This work was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (Grant No. 1.638.2016/FPM).
Open access funding provided by International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA).
- 2.Arnold V I, Ilyashenko Y S. Ordinary differential equations. Encyclopaedia Math Sci, 1988, 1: 1–148Google Scholar
- 3.Arnold V I, Varchenko A N, Gusein-Sade S M. Singularities of Differentiable Mapping, Volume 1. Monographs in Mathematics, vol. 82. Boston: Birkhäuser, 1985Google Scholar
- 11.Davydov A A. Qualitative Theory of Control Systems. Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 141. Providence: Amer Math Soc, 1994Google Scholar
- 18.Davydov A A, Rosales-Gonzales E. Smooth normal forms of folded resonance saddles and nodes and complete classi fication of generic linear second order PDE’s on the plane. In: International Conference on Differential Equation. Singapore: World Scientific, 1998, 59–68Google Scholar
- 24.Kuzmin A G. Non-Classical Equations of Mixed Type and Their Applications in Gas Dynamics. International Series of Numerical Mathematics, vol. 109. Basel: Birkhäuser, 1992Google Scholar
- 25.Pilija A D, Fedorov V I. Singularities of electromagnetic wave field in cold anisotropic plasma with two-dimensional non-homogeneity. J Exp Theor Phys, 1971, 60: 389–400Google Scholar
- 28.Smirnov M M. Equations of Mixed Type. Translations of Mathematical Monographs, vol. 51. Providence: Amer Math Soc, 1978Google Scholar
- 32.Tricomi F. Sulle equazioni lineari alle derivate partziali di secondo ordine di tipo misto. Rend Reale Accad Lincei, 1923, 14: 134–247Google Scholar