Singular spectrum analysis: methodology and application to economics data
- 375 Downloads
This paper describes the methodology of singular spectrum analysis (SSA) and demonstrate that it is a powerful method of time series analysis and forecasting, particulary for economic time series. The authors consider the application of SSA to the analysis and forecasting of the Iranian national accounts data as provided by the Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Key wordsEconomic time series forecasting Iranian national accounts SSA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. D. Krane, An evaluation of real GDP forecasts: 1996–2001, Economic Perspectives, 2003, http://www.chicagofed.org/publications/economicperspectives/2003/1qeppart1.pdf.
- 3.A. Soofi and L. Y. Cao, Nonlinear Forecasting of Noisy Financial Data (ed. by Soofi and Cao), Modeling and Forecasting Financial Data: Techniques of Nonlinear Dynamics, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Danilov and A. Zhigljavsky, Principal Components of Time Series: The `Caterpillar’ Method, University of St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg (In Russian), 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.J. B. Elsner and A. A. Tsonis, Singular Spectral Analysis, A New Tool in Time Series Analysis, Plenum Press, New York and London, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Hassani, Singular spectrum analysis: Methodology and comparison, Journal of Data Science, 2007, 5(2): 239–257.Google Scholar
- 13.Th. Alexandrov and N. Golyandina, The automatic extraction of time series trend and periodical components with the help of the Caterpillar-SSA approach, Exponenta Pro. 3–4 (In Russian), 2004, 54–61.Google Scholar
- 15.S. L. Marple-Jr, Digital Spectral Analysis, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1987.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Bouvet and H. Clergeot, Eigen and singular value decomposition technique for the solution of harmonic retrieval problems, in SVD and Signal Processing: Algorithm, Applications and Architectures (Ed. by E. F. Deprettere ), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1988, 93–114.Google Scholar
- 17.V. K. Madisetti and E. Lloyd, The Digital Signal Processing Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1998.Google Scholar
- 18.D. Brillinger, Time Series, Data Analysis, and Theory, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Subba Rao and M. M. Gaber, An Introduction to Bispectral Analysis and Bilinear Time Series Models, Speringer-Verlag, 1984.Google Scholar
- 21.URL: http://www.cbi.ir.