The dimensions of e-learning quality: from the learner’s perspective
- 1.4k Downloads
The present study was designed to identify the quality dimensions as perceived by adult learners who had taken one or more e-learning courses offered by higher education institutions in South Korea and to identify and confirm the structural features of these quality dimensions. The results of the exploratory factor analysis arising from a survey of 299 learners revealed that from their perspective, there were seven dimensions in evaluating the e-learning quality: Interaction, Staff Support, Institutional Quality Assurance Mechanism, Institutional Credibility, Learner Support, Information and Publicity and Learning Tasks. And the confirmatory factor analysis with responses obtained from another set of 496 adult learners confirmed a good fit of the seven-factor model to the observed data. While most of these seven dimensions are supported by previous studies, some dimensions, such as technology support, content and evaluation/assessment that e-learning providers had highlighted did not appear to be important for Korean adult learners. Possible explanations for these findings are discussed in relation to learner characteristics, e-learning design, and culture, and further research topics are suggested.
KeywordsCFA EFA e-learning e-learning quality Learner’s perspective Quality
- Anderson, T., & Elloumi, F. (Eds.). (2004). Theory and practice of online learning. Canada: Athabasca University Press.Google Scholar
- Bonk, C. J. (2004). The perfect e-storm: Emerging technology, enormous demand, enhanced pedagogy and erased budgets. The Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, June. Retrieved April 24, 2010, from http://www.publicationshare.com/part2.pdf.
- Byrne, B. M. (2001). Structural equation modeling with Amos: Basic concepts applications, and programming. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Cashion, J., & Palmieri, P. (2002). The secret is the teacher: The learners’ view of online learning. Leabrook, Australia: National Center for Vocational Education Research. Retrieved July 21, 2010, from http://www.ncver.edu.au/research/proj/nr0F03a.pdf.
- Cho, I. H., & Lim, K. (2002). A study on the factors that influence students’ performance in GBS-based e-learning environment. Korean Journal of Educational Technology, 18(4), 139–170.Google Scholar
- Dhanarajan, G. (2005). Sustaining knowledge societies through distance learning: The nature of the challenge. Paper presented at the 19th annual conference of the association of Asian open universities, Jakarta, Indonesia.Google Scholar
- Dolog, P., Henze, N., Nejdl, W., & Sintek, M. (2004). Personalization in distributed e-learning environments. In Proceedings of the 13th international conference on World Wide Web––alternate track papers and posters (pp. 170–179).Google Scholar
- Ehlers, U. (2004) Quality in e-learning from a learner’s perspective. European Journal of Open and Distance Learning, I. Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2004/Online_Master_COPs.html.
- Ehlers, U., Goertz, L., Hilderbrant, B., & Pawlowsky, J. M. (2005). Use and dissemination of quality approaches in European e-learning. A study by the European Quality Observatory. Cedefop Panorama series (p. 116). Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities. Retrieved January 22, 2010, from http://www2.trainingvillage.gr/etv/publication/download/panorama/5162_en.pdf#18.
- Ehlers, U. D., & Pawlowski, J. M. (Eds.). (2006). Handbook on quality and standardisation in e-learning. Berlin, Heidelberg and New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- EIU. (2003). The 2003 E-learning readiness rankings. The Economist Intelligence Unit Limited. Retrieved April 24, 2010, from http://graphics.eiu.com/files/ad_pdfs/eReady_2003.pdf.
- E-Learning Advisory Group. (2002). Highways and pathways: Exploring New Zealand’s e-learning opportunities. Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://cms.steo.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/3B455FA8-586B-447B-A239-75C523841021/0/highwaysandpathways.pdf.
- Frydenberg, J. (2002). Quality standards in e-learning: A matrix of analysis. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 3(2). Retrieved February 10, 2010, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/viewArticle/109/189.
- Gillis, L. (2000). Quality standards for evaluating multimedia and online training. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- ITU. (2007). Digital opportunity index. International Telecommunications Union. Retrieved April 24, 2010, from http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/doi/material/WISR07-chapter3.pdf.
- Jang, I., Heo, J. Y., & Lee, K. J. (2003). A study on legal foundations to promote e-learning: Focusing on cyber universities. Seoul: Korea Education and Research Information Service.Google Scholar
- Jang, E. J., Jung, Y. R., Seo, Y. K., Yum, C. H., & Ryu, P. J. (2006). Outcome analysis of cyber universities. Seoul: Korea Education and Research Information Service.Google Scholar
- Jara, M., & Mellar, H. (2007). Exploring the mechanisms for assuring quality of e-learning courses in UK higher education institutions. European Journal of Open and Distance Learning, 1. Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2007/Jara_Mellar.htm.
- Jung, I. S. (2005). Quality assurance survey of mega universities. In C. McIntosh & V. Zeynep (Eds.), Perspectives on distance education: Lifelong learning and distance higher education (pp. 79–98). Vancouver and Paris: Commonwealth of Learning and UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Jung, I. S. (2008). Quality assurance and continuous quality improvement in distance education. In T. Evans, M. Haughey, & D. Murphy (Eds.), International handbook of distance education (pp. 609–624). London: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Jung, I. S., & Latchem, C. (2007). Assuring quality in Asian open and distance learning. Open Learning, 22(3), 235–250.Google Scholar
- Kirkpatrick, D. (2005). Quality assurance in open and distance learning. Vancouver: Commonwealth of Learning. Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://www.col.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/KS2005_QA.pdf.
- Latchem, C., & Jung, I. S. (2009). Distance and blended learning in Asia. London and New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Leem, J. H., & Lim, C. (2007). The current status of e-learning and strategies to enhance educational competitiveness in Korean higher education. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 8(1). Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/380/763.
- McNaught, C. (2001). Quality assurance for online courses: From policy to process to improvement? In G. Kennedy, M. Keppell, C. McNaught, & T. Petrovic (Eds.), Meeting at the crossroads. Proceedings of the 18th annual Australian society for computers in learning in tertiary education 2001 conference (pp. 435–42). University of Melbourne, 9–12 December. Retrieved December 10, 2009, from http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/melbourne01/pdf/papers/mcnaughtc.pdf.
- MEST. (2007). A report on comprehensive evaluation of cyber universities in 2007. Seoul: Korean Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- MEST. (2008). A report on comprehensive evaluation of cyber universities in 2008. Seoul: Korean Ministry of Education Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Meyer, K. (Ed.) (2002). Quality in distance education: Focus on online learning. ASHE-ERIC Higher Education Report, 29(4).Google Scholar
- Meyers, L. S., Guarino, A. J., & Gamst, G. (2006). Applied multivariate research: Design and interpretation. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Middlehurst, R., & Woodfield, S. (2004). International quality review and distance learning: Lessons from five countries. CHEA occasional paper. CHEA Institute for Research and Study of Accreditation and Quality Assurance.Google Scholar
- NIPA. (2008). E-learning industry white paper. Korea: National IT Industry Promotion Agency.Google Scholar
- Pedro, F. (2009). New millennium learners in higher education: Evidence and policy implication. Retrieved January 24, 2010, from http://www.nml-conference.be/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/NML-in-Higher-Education.pdf.
- Phipps, R. A., & Merisotis, J. P. (2000). Quality on the line: Benchmarks for success in internet-based education. Retrieved January 24, 2010, from http://www.ihep.org/assets/files/publications/m-r/QualityOnTheLine.pdf.
- Reips, U. D. (2002). Standards for internet-based experimenting. Experimental Psychology, 49, 243–256.Google Scholar
- Saito, T. (2009). Quality assurance of distance education/e-learning. Report of project group 3: Asia Pacific quality network. Retrieved January 24, 2010, from http://www.apqn.org/files/virtual_library/project_reports/pg3_project_report_february_2009.pdf.
- Strother, J. B. (2002). An assessment of the effectiveness of e-learning in corporate training programs. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 3(1). Retrieved February 10, 2010, from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/83/161.
- Suzuki, K., & Jung, I. S. (in press). Instructional design and technology in an Asian context: Focusing on Japan and Korea. In R. A. Reiser & J. V. Dempsey (Eds.), Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (3rd ed.). Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Swedish National Agency for Higher Education. (2008). E-learning quality aspects and criteria for evaluation of e-learning in higher education. Report 2008:11 R. Stockholm: Högskoleverkets rapportserie. Retrieved January 14, 2010, from http://www.hsv.se/download/18.8f0e4c9119e2b4a60c800028057/0811R.pdf.
- Tabachnick, B. G., & Fidell, L. S. (2001). Using multivariate statistics (4th ed.). NY: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Twigg, C. A. (2001). Quality assurance for whom? Providers and consumers in today’s distributed learning environment. Retrieved May 14, 2010, from http://www.thencat.org/Monographs/Mono3.pdf.
- Yeung, D. (2002). Toward an effective quality assurance model of Web-based learning: The perspective of academic staff. Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, 5(2). Retrieved September 4, 2010, from http://www.westga.edu/~distance/ojdla/winter44/yeung44.html.