Key contributors: Ernst von Glasersfeld’s radical constructivism
- 268 Downloads
This article reviews the significance of the contributions of Ernst von Glasersfeld to research in science education, especially through his theoretical contributions on radical constructivism. As a field shaper, Glasersfeld’s subversive ideas catalyzed debate in the science education community and fuelled transformation of many facets including research methods, ways of thinking about teaching and learning, curriculum, and science teacher education. Perturbations emanating from the debates on constructivism forged new pathways that led to the development and use of many of the sociocultural frameworks employed by authors in Cultural Studies of Science Education.
KeywordsRadical constructivism Epistemology Realism Transforming science education History
The Editors thank the following colleagues for their important contributions to this Key Contributors article: Paul Cobb, James Gallagher, Les Steffe, Martin Simon, Mariona Espinet, Bill Cobern, David Treagust, John Staver, Deborah Tippins, Peter Taylor, Reinders Duit, Sylvie Guignon, Jacques Desautels, and Marie Larochelle.
- Born, M. (1968). My life and my views. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.Google Scholar
- Bourdieu, P. (1980). Questions de sociologie. Paris: Minuit.Google Scholar
- Glanville, R., & Riegler, A. (Eds). (2007). Festschrift for Ernst von Glasersfeld celebrating his 90th birthday. Constructivist Foundations, 2. http://www.univie.ac.at/constructivism/journal/
- Glasersfeld, E. von (1974). Piaget and the radical constructivist epistemology. In C. D. Smock, & E. Glasersfeld von (Eds.), Epistemology and education (pp. 1–24). Athens, GA: Follow Through Publications.Google Scholar
- Glasersfeld, E. von (1987). The construction of knowledge: Contributions of conceptual semantics. Seaside, CA: Intersystems Publications.Google Scholar
- Glasersfeld, E. von (1995). Radical constructivism: A way of knowing and learning. Washington, DC: The Falmer Press.Google Scholar
- Glasersfeld, E. von (2007). Key works in radical constructivism (M. Larochelle, Ed.). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar
- Goodman, N. (1992). Manières de faire des mondes [Ways of worldmaking] (M.-D. Popelard, Trans.). Nîmes, France: Jacqueline Chambon.Google Scholar
- Lettvin, J. Y., Maturana, H. R., McCulloch, W. S., & Pitts, W. H. (1959). What the frog’s eye tells the frog’s brain. Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers, 47, 1940–1951. Reprinted In W. S. McCulloch (Ed.) (1965). Embodiments of mind. MIT Press: Cambridge.Google Scholar