An LC–MS–MS method for quantitative analysis of six trimethoxyamphetamine designer drugs in rat plasma, and its application to a pharmacokinetic study
Trimethoxyamphetamines (TMAs) comprise a family of hallucinogenic drugs that includes various different positional isomers, which are important both for their hallucinogenic activity and their circulation in illicit drug markets. This report describes a method for identification and quantitation of six TMA isomers in rat plasma by solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry (LC–MS–MS) with electrospray ionization. Mescaline-d 1 was used as internal standard. Multiple reaction monitoring on a triple quadrupole mass spectrometer operating in the positive ion mode was used for detection. The chromatographic system used a Varian Polaris C18-A column (2.0 × 100 mm i.d., 3 μm) and gradient elution with acetonitrile and 0.1 % formic acid in water. The calibration curves were linear over the concentration range from 10 to 200 ng/ml for all drugs with correlation coefficients that exceeded 0.998. The limits of detection and quantitation ranged from 1.1 to 2.3 ng/ml and from 6.9 to 10.2 ng/ml, respectively. The validation data, such as precision, accuracy, and recovery, showed good reproducibility and selectivity. This method was successfully applied to evaluating the pharmacokinetic profiles of TMAs in rats.
KeywordsTrimethoxyamphetamines (TMAs) Designer drug LC–MS–MS Solid-phase extraction (SPE) Rat plasma Pharmacokinetic study
- 2.Tsujikawa K, Kanamori T, Kuwayama K, Miyaguchi H, Iwata Y, Inoue H (2006) Analytical profiles for 3,4,5-, 2,4,5-, and 2,4,6-trimethoxyamphetamine. Microgram 4:12–14Google Scholar
- 5.Shulgin A (1991) Pihkal, a chemical love story. Transform Press, BerkeleyGoogle Scholar
- 6.EMCDDA (European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction) (2004) Report on the risk assessment of TMA-2 in the framework of the joint action on new synthetic drugs. EMCDDA, LisbonGoogle Scholar
- 7.Council of the European Union (2003) Council decision 2003/847/JHA of 27 November 2003 concerning control measures and criminal sanctions in respect of the new synthetic drugs 2C-I, 2C-T-2, 2C-T-7 and TMA-2. Off J Eur Union L 321:64–65Google Scholar
- 18.Taverniers I, de Loose M, Van Bockstaele E (2004) Analytical method validation and quality assurance. Trends Anal Chem 23:533–536Google Scholar