Identification of N-ethyl-α-ethylphenethylamine in crystalline powder seized for suspected drug trafficking: a research chemical or a new designer drug?
- 415 Downloads
A crystalline powder was found in an unclaimed lost article shipped from Vietnam to South Korea, and it was seized by narcotics agents as an item of suspicious trade. The chemical was suspected to be methamphetamine crystals, and was sent to the National Forensic Service for forensic identification. Elucidation of the chemical structure was carried out using gas chromatography–electron impact ionization–mass spectrometry, liquid chromatography–time-of-flight–mass spectrometry, and 1D and 2D nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. The compound was identified as N-ethyl-α-ethylphenethylamine. Although the narcotic effect of this compound remains unverified, it may be classified as a phenethylamine-based designer drug on the basis of its structure. It appeared that the recipient of this article sought to abuse this chemical in the same way as amphetamines. There is a possibility that this chemical will be widely abused for recreational use in the near future.
KeywordsN-Ethyl-α-ethylphenethylamine Drug trafficking Structural elucidation GC–EI–MS LC–TOF–MS NMR
- 3.Uchiyama N, Kawamura M, Kikura-Hanajiri R, Goda Y (2011) Identification and quantitation of two cannabimimetic phenylacetylindoles JWH-251 and JWH-250, and four cannabimimetic naphthoylidoles JWH-081, JWH-015, JWH-200, and JWH-073 as designer drugs in illegal products. Forensic Toxicol 29:25–37CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.2011 Annual report of the state of the drugs problem in Europe. European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA), Lisbon, November 2011Google Scholar
- 5.World Drug Report (2011) United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC). June, Vienna 2011Google Scholar
- 11.Maheux CR, Copeland CR, Pollard MM (2010) Characterization of three methcathinone analogs: 4-methylmethcathinone, methylone, and bk-MBDB. Microgram J 7:42–49Google Scholar
- 15.Junet R (1956) Ethylamphetamine in the treatment of obesity. Praxis 45:986–988 (article in French)Google Scholar
- 18.Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. Parliament of the United Kingdom, May 1971Google Scholar