Two simple methods for enantiomeric analyses of urinary amphetamines by GC/MS using deuterium-labeled l-amphetamines as internal standards
- 184 Downloads
Two simple methods for enantiomeric analyses of amphetamines in urine by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) using l-amphetamine-d 3 and l-methamphetamine-d 6 as internal standards are presented. One method (method A) employs extractive derivatization on a diatomaceous column with (S)-(-)-N-(trifluoroacetyl)prolyl chloride (TPC) followed by separation with a conventional capillary column. The second method (method B) uses headspace solid-phase microextraction (HD-SPME) after derivatization with heptafluoro-n-butyryl chloride (HFB), followed by separation with an enantiomeric capillary GC column. By the two methods, all enantiomers were well separated in each chromatogram, and good linearity was obtained in practical concentration ranges (0.1–1.6μg/ml for method A and 0.05–1μg/ml for method B) for every compound by selected-ion monitoring. The precision studies indicated satisfactory coefficients of variation (<5%) for every enantiomer at 0.1μg/ml by both methods. Both methods were also evaluated by applying them to an actual poisoning case. Both methods are recommended for use in forensic analysis, because of their simplicity, high precision, and sufficient sensitivity.
KeywordsAmphetamine Methamphetamine Enantiomeric analysis GC-MS Trifluoroacetylprolyl derivatization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cody JT (1992) Detection of methamphetamine enantiomer ratios in urine by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 580:77–95Google Scholar
- 2.Cho AK (1990) Ice: a new dosage form of an old drug. Science 249:631–634Google Scholar
- 4.Kraemer T, Maurer HH (1998) Determination of amphetamine, methamphetamine and amphetamine-derived designer drugs or medicaments in blood and urine. J Chromatogr B 713:163–187Google Scholar
- 8.Liu J, Hara K, Kashimura S, Kashiwagi M, Kageura M (2001) New method of derivatization and headspace solidphase microextraction for gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric analysis of amphetamines in hair. J Chromatogr B 758:95–101Google Scholar
- 9.Marquet P, Lacassie E, Battu C, Faubert H, Lachatre G (1997) Simultaneous determination of amphetamine and its analogs in human whole blood by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 700:77–82Google Scholar