A new 2H-benzindazole compound from Alternaria alternata Shm-1, an endophytic fungus isolated from the fresh wild fruit of Phellinus igniarius
Endophytic fungi have been shown in recent years to produce a series of bioactive secondary metabolites. Several endophytic fungi were isolated from the fresh wild body of Phellinus igniarius, and initially evaluated for their antimicrobial activity. Among which, Shm-1 extract showed moderate inhibitory activity against Clavibacter michiganense and the fungus was identified to be Alternaria alternata Shm-1 through the comparison of morphological characteristics and the sequence of the rDNA ITS with those of other Alternaria species. A new 2H-benzindazole derivative, alterindazolin A (1), has been isolated from cultures of the endophyte Alternaria alternata Shm-1. Its structure was characterized as 1-benzyl-5-p-hydroxy-phenyloxygen-benz[e]indazole by spectroscopic data analysis including 1D NMR, 2D NMR and MS spectrum.
KeywordsAlternaria alternata Shm-1 Alterindazolin A Phellinus igniarius Antibacterial activity
The authors are grateful to Prof. Z. G. Yue for the collection of fresh fruit of P. igniarius. The project was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NNSFC; Grant nos: 81260477 and 81560567).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 11.Chuang KR (2012) Stress Response and pathogenicity of the necrotrophic fungal pathogen Alternaria alternata. Scientifica (Cairo) 2012:635431Google Scholar
- 12.Montemurro N, Visconti A (1992) Alternaria metabolites—chemical and biological data. In: Chelkowski J, Visconti A (eds) Alternaria biology, plant disease and metabolites. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp 449–557Google Scholar
- 16.Kumeda Y, Asao T (1996) Single-strand conformation polymorphism analysis of PCR-amplified ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacers to differentiate species of Aspergillus section Flavi. Appl Environ Microbiol 62:2947–2952Google Scholar
- 18.Simmons EG, Roberts RG (1993) Alternaria themes and variations. Mycotaxon 48:109–140Google Scholar
- 20.Basım H, Basım E, Baki D, Abdulai M, Öztürk N, Balkic R (2018) Identification and characterization of Alternaria alternata (Fr) Keissler causing Ceratonia Blight disease of carob (Ceratonia siliqua L) in Turkey. Eur J Plant Pathol 151(1):73–86Google Scholar
- 21.Grant SP, Embree MC, Downs JR, Townsend JD, Beam CF (2003) Preparation of alkyl 4,5-dihydro-2H-benz[g]indazole-2-carboxylates and methyl 4,5-dihydro-2H-benz[e]indazole-2-carboxylates from dilithiated 1-tetralone or 2-tetralone carboalkoxyhydrazones and aromatic esters. Ind Eng Chem Res 42:5721–5726CrossRefGoogle Scholar