Aloin promotes osteogenesis of bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells via the ERK1/2-dependent Runx2 signaling pathway
- 27 Downloads
Osteoporosis is characterized by low bone mass and the degeneration of bone structure, conditions which increase the risk of fracture. Aloin has been shown to affect bone metabolism, but its role in osteogenic differentiation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) remains unclear. The aim of our study was to determine whether aloin promotes the proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs and, if so, whether it acts via activation of the ERK1/2-Runx2 signaling pathway. We found that the different concentrations of aloin tested had no obvious cytotoxic effects on the viability of BMSCs. Under osteogenic induction conditions, aloin increased cellular alkaline phosphatase activity, promoted BMSC mineralization, and increased osteogenic-related gene expression. In addition, treating the BMSCs with the signal transduction inhibitor PD98059 (ERK1/2) effectively attenuated Runx2 activation in these cells and also suppressed osteoblastic differentiation. Overall, our study demonstrates that aloin promotes osteogenic differentiation of BMSCs through activation of the ERK1/2-Runx2 signaling pathway.
KeywordsAloin Osteoporosis Osteogenesis BMSCs ERK1/2-Runx2 signaling pathway
This study was supported by the Special Funds of Public Interest Research and Capacity Building of Guangdong Province, China (2015A030302078), the PhD Start-up Fund of Affiliated Hospital of Guangdong Medical University (BJ201508, BJ201520) and the Zhanjiang Municipal Governmental Specific Financial Fund Allocated for Competitive Scientific & Technological Projects (2014A06005).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 1.You L, Pan L, Chen L, Gu W, Chen J (2016) MiR-27a is essential for the shift from osteogenic differentiation to adipogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Cell Physiol Biochem 39:253–265. https://doi.org/10.1159/000445621 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Liu YQ, Hong ZL, Zhan LB, Chu HY, Zhang XZ, Li GH (2016) Wedelolactone enhances osteoblastogenesis by regulating Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway but suppresses osteoclastogenesis by NF-kappaB/c-fos/NFATc1 pathway. Sci Rep 6:32260. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep32260 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Liu X, Bao C, Xu HH, Pan J, Hu J, Wang P, Luo E (2016) Osteoprotegerin gene-modified BMSCs with hydroxyapatite scaffold for treating critical-sized mandibular defects in ovariectomized osteoporotic rats. Acta Biomater 42:378–388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2016.06.019 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Pengjam Y, Madhyastha H, Madhyastha R, Yamaguchi Y, Nakajima Y, Maruyama M (2016) NF-kappaB pathway inhibition by anthrocyclic glycoside aloin is key event in preventing osteoclastogenesis in RAW264.7 cells. Phytomedicine 23:417–428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2016.01.006 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Chang R, Zhou R, Qi X, Wang J, Wu F, Yang W, Zhang W, Sun T, Li Y, Yu J (2016) Protective effects of aloin on oxygen and glucose deprivation-induced injury in PC12 cells. Brain Res Bull 121:75–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brainresbull.2016.01.001 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Silva MA, Trevisan G, Hoffmeister C, Rossato MF, Boligon AA, Walker CI, Klafke JZ, Oliveira SM, Silva CR, Athayde ML, Ferreira J (2014) Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of Aloe saponaria Haw in a model of UVB-induced paw sunburn in rats. J Photochem Photobiol B 133:47–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2014.02.019 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Pengjam Y, Madhyastha H, Madhyastha R, Yamaguchi Y, Nakajima Y, Maruyama M (2016) Anthraquinone glycoside aloin induces osteogenic initiation of MC3T3-E1 cells: involvement of MAPK mediated Wnt and Bmp signaling. Biomol Ther (Seoul) 24:123–131. https://doi.org/10.4062/biomolther.2015.106 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Jeon YM, Kook SH, Rho SJ, Lim SS, Choi KC, Kim HS, Kim JG, Lee JC (2013) Fibroblast growth factor-7 facilitates osteogenic differentiation of embryonic stem cells through the activation of ERK/Runx2 signaling. Mol Cell Biochem 382:37–45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-013-1716-5 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cock IE (2008) Antimicrobial activity of Aloe barbadensis Miller leaf gel components. Internet J Microbiol 4:17Google Scholar
- 31.Ell J, Regn S, Buchberger AM, von Bomhard A, Stark T, Schantz JT, Storck K (2017) Donor-dependent variances of human adipose-derived stem cells in respect to the in-vitro endothelial cell differentiation capability. Adipocyte 6:20–32. https://doi.org/10.1080/21623945.2016.1273299 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar