Comparison of contents of five ephedrine alkaloids in three official origins of Ephedra Herb in China by high-performance liquid chromatography
- 537 Downloads
In the present paper, a fast and economical HPLC method [on a Phenomenex Polar-RP column with a solution of (phosphoric acid:triethylamine:dibutylamine:water = 0.40:0.1:0.2:499.3) and methanol] is developed, and applied for the determination of norephedrine, norpseudoephedrine, ephedrine (E), pseudoephedrine (PE) and methylephedrine (ME) in 64 samples of three species from main habitats in China. Quantitation data showed that total alkaloid content in Ephedra equisetina Bge. (2.708 ± 0.642%) is higher than that in E. sinica Stapf. (1.365 ± 0.624%) and E. intermedia Schrenk et C. A. Mey. (1.537 ± 0.746%), but the range of total alkaloid content in each species is so wide that the ranges of the three species greatly overlap. The contents of E, PE and ME are different among the three species. The ratio E/total alkaloid content and ratio E/PE as well as E and ME contents can be used for identification of E. sinica, E. intermedia and E. equisetina from one another.
KeywordsEphedra Herb Ephedra alkaloids Simultaneous determination Mahuang Species identification
The work was financially supported by the National Outstanding Youth Funds of China (grant no. 30425018).
- 1.Shen-Wei T (1970) Chinese herbal of Takwan (Daguan Bencao) Sung (Song Dynasty) compiled by Dr. Kimura and Dr. Masao Yosizaki with new index. Hirokawa Publishing Company, Tokyo, pp 182–183Google Scholar
- 2.Committee of the Chinese Pharmocopeia (2005) The Chinese pharmacopoeia vol 1. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, pp 223–224Google Scholar
- 3.Pharmacopoeia Society of Japan (2006) The Japanese pharmacopoeia XV edn. Yakuji Nippo Ltd., Tokyo, pp 1283–1284Google Scholar
- 4.Bensky D, Clavey S, Stöger E (2004) Chinese herbal medicine: Materia Medica, 3rd edn. Eastland Press, California, pp 3–6Google Scholar
- 10.Moriyasu M, Endo M, Kanazawa R, Hashimoto Y, Kato A, Mizuno M (1984) High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of organic substances by metal chelate derivatization III. Analysis of Ephedra bases. Chem Pharm Bull 32:744–747Google Scholar
- 11.Lou Z-C, Zhang J-S, Li S-H, Tian Z, Qi Z (1995) Research on Mahuang. In: Lou Z-C, Qin B (eds) Species systematization and quality evaluation of commonly used Chinese traditional drugs (North-China Edition). United Publishers of Beijing Medical University and China Union Medical University, Beijing, pp 39–121Google Scholar
- 12.Cheng D-D, Guo P, Zhao J (1992) Studies of seasonal variation of alkaloids contained in Ephedra sinica Herba in Inner Mongolia. J China Pharm Uni 23:82–87Google Scholar