Perceptions of Health Intervene in the Relationship Between Psychiatric Symptoms and Quality of Life for Individuals in Supportive Housing
- 290 Downloads
Psychiatric symptoms and quality of life (QOL) are important domains for mental health services and research. Findings from studies examining the relationship between psychiatric symptoms and quality of life have been mixed, prompting researchers to test moderating variables that identify for whom and under what circumstances psychiatric symptoms may or may not be particularly influential on individuals’ quality of life.1,2 However, in addition to knowing when or for whom symptoms influence QOL, it is also important to understand how symptoms may be influencing quality of life. Identification of factors that intervene between psychiatric symptoms and QOL can assist in addressing this question and inform the development of services to improve QOL among individuals with serious mental illness (SMI).
Guided by Yanos and Moos’ conceptual model,3this study examined the effect of psychiatric symptoms on quality of life among individuals with SMI. The integrated model of...
KeywordsPsychiatric Symptom Cognitive Appraisal Serious Mental Illness Supportive Housing General Life Satisfaction
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- 2.Tolman AW, Kurtz MM. Neurocognitive predictors of objective and subjective quality of life in individuals with schizophrenia: A meta-analytic investigation. Schizophrenia Bulletin. 2010. doi:10.1093/schbul/sbq077Google Scholar
- 18.Lehman A, Kernan E, Postrado L. Toolkit evaluating quality of life for persons with severe mental illness. Baltimore: The Evaluation Center at HSRI; 1995.Google Scholar
- 21.Andrews F, Withey S. Social indicators of well-being: America’s perception of life quality. New York: Plenum; 1976.Google Scholar
- 22.Andrews F, Robinson J. Measures of subjective well-being. In: Robinson J, Shaver P, Wrightsman L, eds. Measures of personality and social psychological attitudes. San Diego: Academic; 1991:61–114.Google Scholar
- 25.Kline RB. Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. New York: Guilford; 1998.Google Scholar
- 26.Muthén LK, Muthén BO. Mplus user's guide. 5th ed. Los Angeles: Muthén & Muthén; 2009.Google Scholar