Sharp Threshold of Global Existence for a Nonlocal Nonlinear Schrödinger System in ℝ3
In this paper, the authors investigate the sharp threshold of a three-dimensional nonlocal nonlinear Schrödinger system. It is a coupled system which provides the mathematical modeling of the spontaneous generation of a magnetic field in a cold plasma under the subsonic limit. The main difficulty of the proof lies in exploring the inner structure of the system due to the fact that the nonlocal effect may bring some hinderance for establishing the conservation quantities of the mass and of the energy, constructing the corresponding variational structure, and deriving the key estimates to gain the expected result. To overcome this, the authors must establish local well-posedness theory, and set up suitable variational structure depending crucially on the inner structure of the system under study, which leads to define proper functionals and a constrained variational problem. By building up two invariant manifolds and then making a priori estimates for these nonlocal terms, the authors figure out a sharp threshold of global existence for the system under consideration.
KeywordsNonlocal nonlinear Schrödinger system Sharp threshold Blow-up Global existence
2000 MR Subject Classification35A15 35E55 35Q55
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank annoymous referees for their constructive suggestions and helpful comments.
- Cazenave, T., An Introduction to Nonlinear Schrodinger Equations (3rd Ed.), Textos de Metodos Matematicos, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 1996.Google Scholar
- Dendy, R. O., Plasma Dynamics, Oxford University Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Hayashi, N. and Tsutsumi, Y., Scattering theory for Hartree type equations, Ann. Inst. H. Poincaré, Anal. Non Linéaire, 46, 1987, 187–213.Google Scholar
- Miao, C. X., Harmonic Analysis and Applications to Partial Differential Equations, 2nd edition, Monographs on Modern Pure Mathematics, No. 89, Science Press, Beijing, 2004.Google Scholar
- Miao, C. X., The Modern Method of Nonlinear Wave Equations, Lectures in Contemporary Mathematics, No. 2., Science Press, Beijing, 2005.Google Scholar
- Miao, C. X. and Zhang, B., Harmonic Analysis Method of Partial Differential Equations, 2 edition, Monographs on Modern Pure Mathematics, No. 117, Science Press, Beijing, 2008.Google Scholar
- Ozawa, T. and Tsutsumi, Y., Blow–up of H1 solutions for the one–dimension nonlinear Schrödinger equation with critical power nonlinearity, Proc. A. M. S., 111, 1991, 486–496.Google Scholar
- Strauss, W. A., Nonlinear Wave Equations, C. B. M. S., No. 73, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1989.Google Scholar
- Zakharov, V. E., The collapse of Langmuir waves, Soviet Phys., JETP, 35, 1972, 908–914.Google Scholar