The Moser-Trudinger-Onofri inequality
- 153 Downloads
This paper is devoted to results on the Moser-Trudinger-Onofri inequality, or the Onofri inequality for brevity. In dimension two this inequality plays a role similar to that of the Sobolev inequality in higher dimensions. After justifying this statement by recovering the Onofri inequality through various limiting procedures and after reviewing some known results, the authors state several elementary remarks.
Various new results are also proved in this paper. A proof of the inequality is given by using mass transportation methods (in the radial case), consistently with similar results for Sobolev inequalities. The authors investigate how duality can be used to improve the Onofri inequality, in connection with the logarithmic Hardy-Littlewood-Sobolev inequality. In the framework of fast diffusion equations, it is established that the inequality is an entropy-entropy production inequality, which provides an integral remainder term. Finally, a proof of the inequality based on rigidity methods is given and a related nonlinear flow is introduced.
KeywordsMoser-Trudinger-Onofri inequality Duality Mass transportation Fast diffusion equation Rigidity
2000 MR Subject Classification26D10 46E35 35K55 58J60
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baernstein, A. II, A unified approach to symmetrization, Partial Differential Equations of Elliptic Type, Cortona, 1992; Sympos. Math., XXXV, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1994, 4,7–91.Google Scholar
- Chang, S. Y. A., Extremal functions in a sharp form of Sobolev inequality, Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, Vol. 1–2, Berkeley, Calif., 1986; A. M. S., Providence, RI, 1987, 715–723.Google Scholar
- Ghoussoub, N. and Moradifam, A., Functional inequalities: New perspectives and new applications, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, Vol. 187, A. M. S., Providence, RI, 2013. ISBN 978-0-8218-9152-0Google Scholar
- Kawohl, B., Rearrangements and convexity of level sets in PDE, Lecture Notes in Math., Vol. 1150, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985. ISBN 3-540-15693-3Google Scholar
- Lieb, E. H. and Loss, M., Analysis, Graduate Studies in Mathematics, Vol. 14, 2nd edition, A. M. S., Providence, RI,2001. ISBN 0-8218-2783-9Google Scholar
- Moser, J., A sharp form of an inequality by N. Trudinger, Indiana Univ. Math. J., 20, 107, 7–1092, 1970–1971.Google Scholar
- Rosen, G., Minimum value for c in the Sobolev inequality ∥ϕ 3∥ ≤ c ∥▽ϕ∥3, SIAM J. Appl. Math., 21, 1971, 30–32.Google Scholar
- Villani, C., Optimal transport, old and new, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences], Vol. 338, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2009. ISBN 978-3-540-71049-3. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-71050-9Google Scholar