Impossible Differential Attacks on 13-Round CLEFIA-128
- 151 Downloads
CLEFIA, a new 128-bit block cipher proposed by Sony Corporation, is increasingly attracting cryptanalysts’ attention. In this paper, we present two new impossible differential attacks on 13 rounds of CLEFIA-128. The proposed attacks utilize a variety of previously known techniques, in particular the hash table technique and redundancy in the key schedule of this block cipher. The first attack does not consider the whitening layers of CLEFIA, requires 2109.5 chosen plaintexts, and has a running time equivalent to about 2112.9 encryptions. The second attack preserves the whitening layers, requires 2117.8 chosen plaintexts, and has a total time complexity equivalent to about 2121.2 encryptions.
Keywordsblock cipher cryptanalysis impossible differential CLEFIA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shirai T, Shibutani K. On feistel structures using a diffusion switching mechanism. In Proc. FSE 2006, Graz, Austria, Mar. 15–17, 2006, pp.41–56.Google Scholar
- 2.Shirai T, Shibutani K, Akishita T, Moriai S, Iwata T. The 128-bit block cipher CLEFIA (extended abstract). In Proc. FSE 2007, Luxembourg, Mar. 26–28, 2007, pp.181–195.Google Scholar
- 3.The 128 bit block cipher CLEFIA algorithm specification. Sony Corporation, http://www.sony.net/Products/cryptography/clefia
- 4.Lee C, Kim J, Sung J, Hong S, Lee S. Provable security for an RC6-like structure and a MISTY-FO-like structure against differential cryptanalysis. In Proc. ICCSA 2006, Glasgow, UK, May 8–11, 2006, pp.446–455.Google Scholar
- 6.Biham E, Biryukov A, Shamir A. Cryptanalysis of skipjack reduced to 31 rounds using impossible differentials. In Proc. EUROCRYPT 1999, Prague, Czech, May 2–6, 1999, pp.12–23.Google Scholar
- 7.The 128-bit block cipher CLEFIA security and performance evaluations. Sony Corporation, http://www.sony.net/Products/cryptography/clefia/technical/data/clefia-eval-1.0.pdf, Jun. 1, 2007.
- 8.Tsunoo Y, Tsujihara E, Shigeri M, Saito T, Suzaki T, Kubo H. Impossible differential cryptanalysis of CLEFIA. In Proc. FSE 2008, Lausanne, Switzerland, Feb. 10–13, 2008, pp.398–411.Google Scholar
- 9.Wang W, Wang X. Improved impossible differential cryptanalysis of CLEFIA. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2007/466, http://eprint.iacr.org/.
- 10.Sun B, Ruilin L, Wang M, Li P, Li C. Impossible differential cryptanalysis of CLEFIA. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2008/151, http://eprint.iacr.org/.
- 11.Tsujihara E, Shigeri M, Suzaki T, Kawabata T, Tsunoo Y. New impossible differentials of CLEFIA. IEICE Technical Report, ISEC2008–3 (2008–05), pp.15–22. (In Japanese)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang W, Han J. Impossible differential analysis of reduced round CLEFIA. In Proc. Inscrypt 2008, Beijing, China, Dec. 14–17, 2008, pp.181–191.Google Scholar
- 13.Comments on the impossible differential analysis of reduced round CLEFIA presented at Inscrypt 2008. CLEFIA Design Team, Sony Corporation, Jan. 8, 2009.Google Scholar
- 14.The 128-bit block cipher CLEFIA design rationale. Sony Corporation, http://www.sony.net/Products/cryptography/clefia/technical/data/clefia-design-1.0.pdf, Jun. 1, 2007.