An Improved Markov Model for IEEE 802.15.4 Slotted CSMA/CA Mechanism
- 334 Downloads
IEEE 802.15.4 protocol is proposed to meet the low latency and energy consumption needs in low-rate wireless applications, however, few analytical models are tractable enough for comprehensive evaluation of the protocol. To evaluate the IEEE 802.15.4 slotted CSMA/CA channel access mechanism in this paper, we propose a practical and accurate discrete Markov chain model, which can dynamically represent different network loads. By computing the steady-state distribution probability of the Markov chain, we obtain an evaluation formula for throughput, energy consumption, and access latency. Then we further analyze the parameters that influence performance including packet arrival rate, initial backoff exponent and maximum backoff number. Finally, NS2 simulator has been used to evaluate the performance of the 802.15.4 CSMA/CA mechanism under different scenarios and to validate the accuracy of the proposed model.
KeywordsIEEE 802.15.4 Markov model CSMA/CA mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wang C, Li B, Li B, Sohraby K. An effective collision resolution mechanism for wireless LAN. In Proc. IEEE ICC-NMC’03, Shanghai, China, October 20–23, 2003, pp.18–25.Google Scholar
- Wang X, Min G, Mellor E J. Performance modeling of IEEE 802.11 DCF using equilibrium point analysis. In Proc. IEEE 20th AINA, Vienna, Austria, April 18–20, 2006, pp.281–288.Google Scholar
- IEEE Standard 802.15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LRWPANs). New York: IEEE Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- Zheng J, Lee J M. A comprehensive performance study of IEEE 802.15.4. Sensor Network Operations, IEEE Press, 2006, pp.218–237.Google Scholar
- Lu G, Krishnamachari B, Raghavendra S C. Performance evaluation of the IEEE 802.15.4 MAC for low-rate wireless networks. In Proc. IPCCC04, Phoenix, USA, April 15–17, 2004, pp.701–706.Google Scholar
- Lee S J. An experiment on performance study of IEEE 802.15.4 wireless networks. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, Catania, Italy, September 19–22, 2005, pp.451–458.Google Scholar
- Chen F, Wang N, German R, Dressler F. Performance evaluation of IEEE 802.15.4 LR-WPAN for industrial applications. In Proc. WONS 2008, Garmisch — Partenkirchen, Germany, January 23–25, 2008, pp.89–96.Google Scholar
- Pollin S et al. Performance analysis of slotted carrier sense IEEE 802.15.4 medium access layer. In Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM 2006, San Francisco, USA, Nov. 27–Dec. 1, 2006, pp.1–6.Google Scholar
- Ling X, Cheng Y, Mark W J, Shen X. A general analytical model for the IEEE 802.15.4 contention access period. In Proc. WCNC’07, Hong Kong, China, March 11–15, 2007, pp.316–321.Google Scholar