Updating Recursive XML Views of Relations
- 42 Downloads
This paper investigates the view update problem for XML views published from relational data. We consider XML views defined in terms of mappings directed by possibly recursive DTDs compressed into DAGs and stored in relations. We provide new techniques to efficiently support XML view updates specified in terms of XPath expressions with recursion and complex filters. The interaction between XPath recursion and DAG compression of XML views makes the analysis of the XML view update problem rather intriguing. Furthermore, many issues are still open even for relational view updates, and need to be explored. In response to these, on the XML side, we revise the notion of side effects and update semantics based on the semantics of XML views, and present effecient algorithms to translate XML updates to relational view updates. On the relational side, we propose a mild condition on SPJ views, and show that under this condition the analysis of deletions on relational views becomes PTIME while the insertion analysis is NP-complete. We develop an efficient algorithm to process relational view deletions, and a heuristic algorithm to handle view insertions. Finally, we present an experimental study to verify the effectiveness of our techniques.
KeywordsXML XML publishing XML views view update
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arthur Keller. Algorithms for translating view updates to database updates for views involving selections, projections, and joins. In Proc. the fourth ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), Portland, Oregon, USA, 1985, pp.154–163.Google Scholar
- IBM DB2 universal database SQL reference. IBM. www306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/.
- SQL reference. Oracle. www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/.
- SQL server. MSDN Library. msdn.microsoft.com/enus/sqlserver/.
- Philip Bohannon, Byron Choi, Wenfei Fan. Incremental evaluation of schema-directed XML publishing. In Proc. the 2004 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD), Paris, France, 2004, pp.503–514.Google Scholar
- Michael J Carey, Jerry Kiernan, Jayavel Shanmugasundaram, Eugene J Shekita, Subbu N Subramanian. XPERANTO: Middleware for publishing object-relational data as XML documents. In Proc. the 26th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Cairo, Egypt, 2000, pp.646–648.Google Scholar
- Mary F Fernandez, Atsuyuki Morishima, Dan Suciu. Efficient evaluation of XML middleware queries. In Proc. the 2001 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD), Santa Barbara, CA, USA, 2001, pp.103–114.Google Scholar
- Vanessa P Braganholo, Susan B Davidson, Carlos A Heuser. From XML view updates to relational view updates: Old solutions to a new problem. In Proc. the Thirtieth International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Toronto, Canada, 2004, pp.276–287.Google Scholar
- L Wang, E A Rundensteiner, Murali Mani. UFilter: A lightweight XML view update checker. In Proc. the 22nd International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Atlanta, USA, 2006, p.126.Google Scholar
- Laux A, Martin L. XUpdate—XML Update Language. 2000, http://www.xmldb.org /xupdate/xupdate-wd.html.
- Sur G, Hammer J, Siméon J. An XQuery-based language for processing updates in XML. In Proc. Programming Language Technologies for XML (PLAN-X), Venice, Italy, 2004.Google Scholar
- Byron Choi. What are real DTDs like. In Proc. the Fifth International Workshop on the Web and Databases (Webdb), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2002, pp.43–48.Google Scholar
- Rajasekar Krishnamurthy, Raghav Kaushik, Jefferey Naughton. XML-SQL query translation literature: The state of the art and open problems. In Proc. Database and XML Technologies, First International XML Database Symposium (XSym), Berlin, Germany, 2003, pp.1–18.Google Scholar
- Buneman P, Khanna S, Tan W. On propagation of deletions and annotations through views. In Proc. the Twenty-First ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), Wisconsin, USA, 2002, pp.150–158.Google Scholar
- Byron Choi, Gao Cong, Wenfei Fan, Stratis Viglas. Updating recursive XML views of relations. In Proc. the 23nd International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Istanbul, Turkey, 2007, pp.766–775.Google Scholar
- Michael Benedikt, Chee Yong Chan, Weifei Fan, Rajeev Rastogi, Shihui Zheng, Aoying Zhou. DTD-directed publishing with attribute translation grammars. In Proc, the 28th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Hong Kong, China, 2002, pp.838–849.Google Scholar
- Jayavel Shanmugasundaram, Kristin Tufte, Chun Zhang, Gang He, David J DeWitt, Jefferey F Naughton. Relational databases for querying XML documents: Limitations and opportunities. In Proc. 25th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, 1999, pp.302–314.Google Scholar
- Cormen T H, Leiserson C E, Rivest R L, Stein C. Introduction to Algorithms. McGraw-Hill, 2001.Google Scholar
- Li Chen, Amarnath Gupta, M Erdem Kurul. Stack-based algorithms for pattern matching on DAGs. In Proc. the 31st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Trondheim, Norway, 2005, pp.493–504.Google Scholar
- Ralf Schenkel, Anja Theobald, Gerhard Weikum. Efficient creation and incremental maintenance of the HOPI index for complex XML document collections. In Proc. the 21st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Tokyo, Japan, 2005, pp.360–371.Google Scholar
- Christoph Koch. Efficient processing of expressive nodeselecting queries on XML data in secondary storage: A tree automata-based approach. In Proc. the 29th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Berlin, Germany, 2003, pp.249–260.Google Scholar
- Italiano G F. Finding paths and deleting edges in directed acyclic graphs. Inf. Process. Lett., 1988, 28.Google Scholar
- King V, Sagert G. A fully dynamic algorithm for maintaining the transitive closure. In Proc. ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1999.Google Scholar
- Michael Garey, David Johnson. Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. 1979.Google Scholar
- Bart Selman, Henry Kautz. Walksat Home Page. 2004. http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/kautz/walksat/.
- Wang L, Mulchandani M, Rundensteiner E. Updating XQuery views published over relational data: A round-trip case study. In Proc. XML Database Symposium, 2003, pp.223–237.Google Scholar
- Wang L, Rundensteiner E A. Updating XML views published over relational databases: Towards the existence of a correct update mapping. Technical Report, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2004.Google Scholar
- Yingwei Cui, Jennifer Widom. Run-time translation of view tuple deletions using data lineage. Technical Report, Stanford University, 2001.Google Scholar
- Gao Cong, Wenfei Fan, Floris Geerts. Annotation propagation revisited for key preserving views. In Proc. the 15th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Arlington, Virginia, USA, 2006, pp.632–641.Google Scholar
- Cohen E, Kaplan H, Milo T. Labeling dynamic XML tree. In Proc. the Twenty-First ACM SIGMOD-SIGACT-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2002, pp.271–281.Google Scholar