Inter-Cluster Routing Authentication for Ad Hoc Networks by a Hierarchical Key Scheme
Dissimilar to traditional networks, the features of mobile wireless devices that can actively form a network without any infrastructure mean that mobile ad hoc networks frequently display partition due to node mobility or link failures. These indicate that an ad hoc network is difficult to provide on-line access to a trusted authority server. Therefore, applying traditional Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) security framework to mobile ad hoc networks will cause insecurities. This study proposes a scalable and elastic key management scheme integrated into Cluster Based Secure Routing Protocol (CBSRP) to enhance security and non-repudiation of routing authentication, and introduces an ID-Based internal routing authentication scheme to enhance the routing performance in an internal cluster. Additionally, a method of performing routing authentication between internal and external clusters, as well as inter-cluster routing authentication, is developed. The proposed cluster-based key management scheme distributes trust to an aggregation of cluster heads using a threshold scheme faculty, provides Certificate Authority (CA) with a fault tolerance mechanism to prevent a single point of compromise or failure, and saves CA large repositories from maintaining member certificates, making ad hoc networks robust to malicious behaviors and suitable for numerous mobile devices.
Keywordsad hoc network PKI CBSRP ID-based inter-cluster cluster-based CA (Certificate Authority)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lin H Y, Huang Y M. Information service on scalable ad-hoc mobile wireless networks. In Proc. the IEEE International Conference on Computer Networks and Mobile Computing, Shanghai, China, Oct. 2003, pp.190–196.Google Scholar
- Kong J, Zerfos P, Luo H et al. Providing robust and ubiquitous security support for mobile ad-hoc networks. In Proc. the 9th Int. Conf. Network Protocols, Riverside, California, USA, Nov. 2001, pp.251–260.Google Scholar
- Ghazizadeh S, Ilghami O, Sirin E, Yaman F. Security-aware adaptive dynamic source routing protocol. In Proc. the 27th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, Tampa, Florida, USA, Nov. 2002, pp.751–760.Google Scholar
- Yi S, Naldurg P, Kravets R. Security-aware ad hoc routing for wireless networks. In Proc. the 2nd ACM Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, Long Beach, California, USA, Aug. 2001, pp.299–302.Google Scholar
- Desmedt Y, Frankel Y. Threshold crypto-systems. Advances in Cryptology, Aug. 1990, pp.307–315.Google Scholar
- Stinson D R, Wei R. Unconditionally secure proactive secret sharing scheme with combinatorial. In Proc. the 6th Annual International Workshop Selected Areas in Cryptography, Kingston, Canada, Aug. 1999, pp.200–214.Google Scholar
- Hu Y C, Perrig A, Johnson D B. Ariadne: A secure on-demand routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In Proc. 8th ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Atlanta, USA, Sept. 2002, pp.12–23.Google Scholar
- Shamir A. Identity-based cryptosystems and signature schemes. In Proc. CRYPTO, Santa Barbara, USA, 1984, pp.47–53.Google Scholar
- NIST FIPS PUB 180. Secure hash standard. National Institute of Standards and Technology Draft, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1993.Google Scholar
- Krawczyk H, Bellare M, Canetti R. HMAC: Keyed-hashing for message authentication. Internet Request for Comments RFC 2104, Feb. 1997, http://www.ietf.org.
- Perkins C E, Royer E M, Das S R. Ad hoc on demand distance vector (AODV) routing. In Proc. 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, New Orleans, LA, USA, Feb. 1999, pp.90–100.Google Scholar
- Hsieh M Y, Huang Y M. A secure on-demand source routing with distributed authentication for trust-based ad hoc networks. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3779, Springer-Verlag, 2005, pp.343–350.Google Scholar
- Broch J, Johnson D B, Maltz D A. Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks. IETF, Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-07.txt, Oct. 1999, http://www.ietf.org.
- Bechler M, Hof H J, Kraft D et al. A cluster-based security architecture for ad hoc networks. In Proc. IEEE the Conf. Computer Communications, Hong Kong, Mar. 2004, 23(1): 2393–2403.Google Scholar
- Basagni S, Chlamtac I, Farago A. A generalized clustering algorithm for peer-to-peer networks. In Proc. Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Comm., Bologna, Italy, July 1997.Google Scholar
- Beth T, Borcherding M, Klein B. Valuation of trust in open networks. In Proc. the 3rd European Symp. Research in Computer Security, Brighton, England, Nov. 1994, pp.3–18.Google Scholar
- Butty’an L, Vajda L. Towards provable security for ad hoc routing protocols. In Proc. the 2nd ACM Workshop on Security of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks, Washington DC, USA, July 2004, pp.94–105.Google Scholar
- Hu Y C, Perrig A, Johnson D B. Ariadne: A secure on-demand routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In Proc. 8th ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Sept. 2002, pp.12–23.Google Scholar
- Hubaux J P, Buttyan L, Capkun S. The quest for security in mobile ad hoc networks. In Proc. ACM Symp. Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, Long Beach, CA, USA, Oct. 2001.Google Scholar
- Yi S, Kravets R. MOCA: Mobile certificate authority for wireless ad hoc networks. In Proc. the 2nd Annual PKI Research Workshop Program, Gaithersburg, Maryland, Apr. 2003, pp.52–64.Google Scholar
- Kwon T W, You C S, Heo W S et al. Two implementation methods of a 1024-bit RSA cryptoprocessor based on modified Montgomery algorithm. In Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits and Systems, Sydney, Australia, May 2001, pp.650–653.Google Scholar
- Schneier B. Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1996.Google Scholar
- NS-2. The network simulator. 1989 (last accessed March 12 2004), http://www.isi.edu//nsnam/ns/.
- Kong J, Hong X, Gerla M. An anonymous on demand routing with untraceable routes for mobile ad-hoc networks. Technical Report CSD-TR030020, UCLA, 2003.Google Scholar