Test Time Minimization for Hybrid BIST of Core-Based Systems
This paper presents a solution to the test time minimization problem for core-based systems. We assume a hybrid BIST approach, where a test set is assembled, for each core, from pseudorandom test patterns that are generated online, and deterministic test patterns that are generated off-line and stored in the system. In this paper we propose an iterative algorithm to find the optimal combination of pseudorandom and deterministic test sets of the whole system, consisting of multiple cores, under given memory constraints, so that the total test time is minimized. Our approach employs a fast estimation methodology in order to avoid exhaustive search and to speed-up the calculation process. Experimental results have shown the efficiency of the algorithm to find near optimal solutions.
KeywordsSoC self-test hybrid BIST
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Murray B T, Hayes J P. Testing ICs: Getting to the core of the problem. IEEE Computer, Nov. 1996, 29(11): 32–39.Google Scholar
- Garg M, Basu A, Wilson T C et al. A new test scheduling algorithm for VLSI systems. In Proc. CSI/IEEE Symposium on VLSI Design, New Delhi, 1991, pp.148–153.Google Scholar
- Zorian Y. A distributed BIST control scheme for complex VLSI devices. In Proc. IEEE VLSI Test Symposium (VTS’93), Atlantic City, NJ, 1993, pp.4–9.Google Scholar
- Chakrabarty K. Test scheduling for core-based systems. In Proc. IEEE/ACM Int. Conf. Computer Aided Design (ICCAD’99), San Jose, CA, 1999, pp.391–394.Google Scholar
- Sugihara M, Date H, Yasuura H. Analysis and minimization of test time in a combined BIST and external test approach. In Proc. Design, Automation & Test in Europe Conference (DATE 2000), Paris, 2000, pp.134–140.Google Scholar
- Muresan V, Wang X, Muresan V et al. A comparison of classical scheduling approaches in power-constrained block-test scheduling. In Proc. IEEE Int. Test Conference (ITC’2000), Atlantic City, NJ, 2000, pp.882–891.Google Scholar
- Larsson E, Peng Z. An integrated framework for the design and optimization of SoC test solutions. Journal of Electronic Testing; Theory and Applications (JETTA), Special Issue on Plug-and-Play Test Automation for System-on-a-Chip, Aug. 2002, 18(4/5): 385–400.Google Scholar
- Zorian Y, Marinissen E J, Dey S. Testing embedded core-based system chips. In Proc. IEEE Int. Test Conf. (ITC’98), Washington DC, 1998, pp.130–143.Google Scholar
- Jervan G, Peng Z, Ubar R. Test cost minimization for hybrid BIST. In Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Defect and Fault Tolerance in VLSI Systems (DFT’00), Yamanashi, 2000, pp.283–291.Google Scholar
- Jervan G, Peng Z, Ubar R, Kruus H. A hybrid BIST architecture and its optimization for SoC testing. In Proc. IEEE 3rd Int. Symp. Quality Electronic Design (ISQED’02), San Jose, CA, 2002, pp.273–279.Google Scholar
- Ubar R, Jervan G, Peng Z et al. Fast test cost calculation for hybrid BIST in digital systems. Euromicro Symp. Digital Systems Design, Warsaw, 2001, pp.318–325.Google Scholar
- Jervan G, Eles P, Peng Z et al. Test time minimization for hybrid BIST of core-based systems. Asian Test Symposium, Xian, 2003, pp.318–323.Google Scholar