A Semantic Matchmaker for Ranking Web Services
- 49 Downloads
This paper is concerned with the matchmaker for ranking web services by using semantics. So far several methods of semantic matchmaker have been proposed. Most of them, however, focus on classifying the services into predefined categories rather than providing a ranking result. In this paper, a new method of semantic matchmaker is proposed for ranking web services. It is proposed to use the semantic distance for estimating the matching degree between a service and a user request. Four types of semantic distances are defined and four algorithms are implemented respectively to calculate them. Experimental results show that the proposed semantic matchmaker significantly outperforms the keyword-based baseline method.
Keywordssemantic web services semantic distance services ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Haas H. Web services activity statement. W3C, http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/Activity, 2001.
- Clement L, Hately A, Riegen C V et al. UDDI version 3.0.2. UDDI Spec. Technical Committee Draft, October 19 2004. http://uddi.org/pubs/uddi_v3.htm.
- Christensen E, Curbera F, Meredith G et al. Web services description language (WSDL). http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/ NOTE-wsdl-20010315, 2001.
- Gudgin M, Hadley M, Mendelsohn N et al. SOAP version 1.2 part 1: Messaging framework, W3C recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/, June 24, 2003.
- Qiu D, Srikant R. Modeling and performance analysis of bitTorrent-like peer-to-peer networks. In Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, Portland, Dregon, USA, 2004, pp.367–378.Google Scholar
- Liu Y, Zhang Z, Xiao L, Ni L. A distributed approach to solving overlay mismatching problem. In Proc. 24th Int. Conf. Distributed Computing Systems, Tokyo, Japan, March 2004, pp.132–139.Google Scholar
- Paolucci M, Kawamura T, Payne T R et al. Semantic matching of web services capabilities. In Proc. 1st Int. Semantic Web Conf. (ISWC2002), Sardinia, Italy, June 2002, pp.333–347.Google Scholar
- Martin D, Burstein M, Hobbs J et al. OWL-S: Semantic markup for web services. http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/overview/, 2004.
- Sivashanmugan K, Verma K, Sheth A et al. Adding semantics to web services standards. In Proc. Int. Conf. Web Services, Las Vegas, USA, June 23–26, 2003, pp.395–401.Google Scholar
- Ogbuji U. Supercharging WSDL with RDF—Managing structured web service metadata. IBM developerWorks article, 2000.Google Scholar
- Peer J. Bringing together semantic web and web services. In Proc. 1st Int. Semantic Web Conf. (ISWC2002), Sardinia, Italy, June 2002, pp.279–291.Google Scholar
- Worden R. A meaning definition language. White paper. http://www.charteris.com/mdl/MDLWhitePaper.pdf, 2001.
- Sriharee N, Senivongse T. Discovering web services using behavioral constraints and ontology. In Proc. 4th IFIP Int. Conf. Distributed Applications and Interoperable Systems, Paris, France, November 19–21, 2003, pp.248–259.Google Scholar
- Sirin E, Bijan P, Hendler J. Composition-driven filtering and selection of semantic web services. In Proc. 19th Conf. Artificial Intelligence (AAAI04), San Jose, USA, July 25–29, 2004, pp.129–136.Google Scholar
- Bansal S, Vidal J M. Matchmaking of web services based on the DAML-S service model. In Proc. 2nd Int. Joint Conf. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS'03), Melbourne, Australia, July 14–18, 2003, pp.926–927.Google Scholar
- Klein M, Bernstein A. Searching services on the semantic web using process ontologies. In Proc. Int. Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS), Amsterdam: IOS Press, 2001, pp.159–172.Google Scholar
- Jaeger M C, Rojec-Goldmann G, Liebetruth C et al. Ranked matching for service descriptions using OWL-S. In Proc. Communication in Distributed System (KiVS05), Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2005, pp.91–102.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez-Castillo J, Trastour D, Bartolini C. Description logics for matchmaking of services. In Proc. The Workshop on Applications of Description Logics (KI'01), Vienna, Austria, 2001, pp.12–24.Google Scholar
- Caragea D, Syeda-Mahmood T. Semantic API matching for automatic service composition. In Proc. 13th Int. WWW Conf., New York, USA, 2004, pp.436–437.Google Scholar
- Syeda-Mahmood T, Shah G, Akkiraju R et al. Searching service repositories by combining semantic and ontological matching. In Proc. Int. Conf. Web Services (ICWS'05), Orlando, Florida, USA, 2005, pp.13–20.Google Scholar
- Zhang P. Travel Ontology. http://www.schemaweb.info/sche-ma/SchemaDetails.aspx?id=236, 2005.
- Sycara K, Widoff S, Klusch M et al. Larks: Dynamic matchmaking among heterogeneous software agents in cyberspace. In Proc. Conf. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS'02), Bologna, Italy, July 2002, pp.173–203.Google Scholar
- Dijkstra algorithm. http://www-b2.is.tokushima-u.ac.jp/~ikeda/suuri/dijkstra/Dijkstra.shtml.
- Zhang D, Li J, Xu B. Web service annotation using ontology mapping. In Proc. 1st Int. Workshop on Service Oriented System Engineering, Beijing, China, 2005, pp.235–242.Google Scholar