Fouling release coating application as an environmentally efficient retrofit: a case study of a ferry-type ship
- 405 Downloads
Purpose and methods
The paper introduces a simple retrofit performed on a case study vessel, with the aim of assessing the retrofit’s potential environmental impacts via doing a life cycle assessment. Additionally, the case presented herein strives to evidence the applicability of life cycle assessment (LCA) appraisals within shipyard representatives or managers.
Results and discussion
The environmental results shown in this paper are related to cost calculations presented for the selected retrofit, underlining the potential environmental impacts from the retrofit, while appraising its economic performance.
The paper strives to evidence that significant savings with regard to fuel costs can be achieved by the application of this retrofit to ships with a similar operational profile, but more importantly, the improved operational efficiency and the emission reductions can be noteworthy. Lastly, the results summarised intend to offer an optimistic context towards the implementation of the retrofit at a larger scale, i.e. a section of the existing fleet.
KeywordsFouling release coatings GHG emission reduction LCA Maritime transportation Shipbuilding Ship repair Retrofit
The work described in this paper has been supported with funding from the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Commission under Grant Agreement FP7-SST-2010-RTD-1, CP-266268. The authors also wish to thank Mr Pedro Oslé, from ASTANDER shipyard, for his input and support.
- Blanco-Davis E (2013a) Eco-REFITEC Life cycle assessment tool and user manual: guidelines to the ship’s life cycle’s data gathering and LCA prototype modelling. Deliverable 3.3 of the EC-FP7 Eco-REFITec project, CP-266268. http://eco-refitec.eu/
- Blanco-Davis E (2013b) LCA for Eco-REFITEC selected cases: report of implementation of LCA for shipyards, including owner costs and results of case ships. Deliverable 5.1 of the EC-FP7 Eco-REFITec project, CP-266268. http://eco-refitec.eu/
- Buhaug Ø, Corbett J, Endresen Ø, Eyring V, Faber J, Hanayama S, Lee D, Lee D, Lindstad H, Markowska A, Mjelde A, Nelissen D, Nilsen J, Pålsson C, Winebrake J, Wu W, Yoshida K (2009) Second IMO GHG study 2009. International Maritime Organization (IMO) London, UKGoogle Scholar
- Bunkerworld (2013) Bunkerworld Index –BW380. http://www.bunkerworld.com/prices/index/bw380. Accessed Sept 2013
- CCC (2009) Meeting carbon budgets –the need for a step change. http://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/meeting-carbon-budgets-the-need-for-a-step-change-1st-progress-report/. Accessed Oct 2013
- CML (2010) CML-IA Characterisation factors. Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Faculty of Science, Universiteit Leiden. http://cml.leiden.edu/software/data-cmlia.html. Accessed Mar 2013
- EC (2013) The European Union Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). http://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/ets/. Accessed Oct 2013
- GaBi (2013) Software version 6.0. http://www.gabi-software.com
- HSE (2002) Marine Risk Assessment, Health and Safety Executive Offshore Technology Report 2001/063. HSE Books, NorwichGoogle Scholar
- ISO (2006a) 14040:2006(E) Environmental management—life cycle assessment—principles and framework. Geneva, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- ISO (2006b) 14044:2006(E) Environmental management—life cycle assessment—requirements and guidelines. Geneva, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- Johnsen T, Fet AM (1998) (HiÅ): screening life cycle assessment of M/V color festival. Report no 10/B101/R-98/009/00, Aalesund CollegeGoogle Scholar
- Koch T, Blanco-Davis E, Zhou P (2013) Analysis of economic and environmental performance of retrofits using simulation. In: Bertram V (ed) Computer and IT applications in the maritime industries, Cortona, Italy, 2013. Technische Universität Hamburg-Harburg, Hamburg, pp 225–237Google Scholar
- Lloyd’s RF (2014) World fleet statistics. Lloyd’s Register Fairplay. http://www.sea-web.com/seaweb_directory.html. Accessed Mar 2014
- NPI (1999) Emission estimation technique manual for shipbuilding repair and maintenance. National Pollutant Inventory, Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, Australian GovernmentGoogle Scholar
- PE-International (2013) GaBi database documentation. http://database-documentation.gabi-software.com/support/gabi/. Accessed Apr 2013