Spatial and temporal rainfall changes in Egypt
- 143 Downloads
During the twentieth century, the intensity and frequency of extreme events (e.g., storms and floods) have significantly altered globally due to human-induced climate change. Recently, it has been recognized that some regions in Egypt have exposed to extreme rainfall events which led in some cases to severe flash floods. In this work, the variability of rainfall characteristics in Egypt was investigated based on a detailed statistical analysis of historical rainfall records at 31 stations. Both parametric (Pearson) and non-parametric (Mann–Kendall and Spearman) tests were applied on annual and seasonal precipitation indices to examine temporal trends. A classification of significant trends was introduced to assess the degrees of their likelihood. The results detected significant trends in annual indices: maximum precipitation, total precipitation, simple daily intensity index, and number of rainy days at 29, 19, 19, and 13% of stations, respectively. Significant trends in seasonal indices were also found at a few stations. For all indices, 77% of the detected significant trends are negative concluding a decrease in the amount of precipitation in Egypt. Additionally, only 6% of the detected trends are classified as less likely, while the rest is likely and extremely likely, indicating a high probability of most detected trends. Generally, the detected trends do not form any spatial pattern in all cases. The results also provided a preliminary impression on the likely impacts of climate change on rainfall characteristics in Egypt.
KeywordsClimate change Extreme Rainfall Mann–Kendall Spearman Pearson Trend analysis Egypt
- AhramOnline (2018) ‘Egypt’s top prosecutor orders report into ‘failure to manage’ heavy rain in New Cairo’, (Saturday 28 Apr 2018)Google Scholar
- Alexandersson H, Moberg A (1997) Homogenization of Swedish Temperature Data. Part I: homogeneity test for linear trends. Int J Climatol 17(1):25–34. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0088(199701)17:1<25::AID-JOC103>3.0.CO;2-J
- Bani-Domi M (2005) ‘Trend analysis of temperatures and precipitation in Jordan’, Umm Al-Qura University Journal of Educational. Soc Sci Humanit 17(1):13–36Google Scholar
- Conrad JM, Kotani K (2014) Adapting to climate change. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-017-8631-7
- Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (2016) ‘Egypt Third National Communication’. Available at:https://unfccc.int/files/nationalreports/non-annex_i_parties/biennial_update_reports/application/pdf/tnc_report.pdf
- Elmenoufy HM, Morsy M, Eid MM, El Ganzoury A, Wahab MMA (2017) Towards enhancing rainfall projection using bias correction method: case study Egypt Towards enhancing rainfall projection using bias correction method: case study Egypt, (September).Google Scholar
- Gado TA (2017) Statistical characteristics of extreme rainfall events in Egypt. Twentieth International Water Technology Conference, IWTC20, (May), pp. 18–20. Available at: http://iwtc.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/44.pdf.
- Gado TA, Nguyen V (2013) Effect of climate change on annual flood peaks in Quebec. EIC Clim Change Technol Conf 2013(1569696769):1–11Google Scholar
- Karpouzos DK, Kavalieratou S, Babajimopoulos C (2010) Trend analysis of precipitation data in Pieria Region (Greece). Eur Water 30:31–40Google Scholar
- Kendall MG (1962) ‘Rank correlation methods’ Hafner, 3rd edn. Publishing Company, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Khadr M (2017) Recent trends and fluctuations of rainfall in the Upper Blue Nile River Basin, pp 451–466. https://doi.org/10.1007/698_2017_1.
- Liuzzo L, Freni G (2015) Analysis of extreme rainfall trends in Sicily for the evaluation of depth-duration-frequency curves in climate change scenarios. J Hydrol Eng 20(12):04015036. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001230 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nashwan MS, Shahid S, Rahim NA (2018) Unidirectional trends in annual and seasonal climate and extremes in Egypt. Theor Appl Climatol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-018-2498-1
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration | U.S. Department of Commerce. Available at: http://www.noaa.gov/. Accessed: 1 November 2016
- Russia’s Weather - forecast, weather conditions, weather archive. Available at: http://meteo.infospace.ru/main.htm. Accessed: 1 November 2016
- Shalby A, Elshemy M, Zeidan BA (2018) Climate change impacts on the hydrodynamic characteristics of Lake Burullus, Coastal Lagoon ( Egypt ). In: Sixth International Conference on Estuaries and Coasts” (ICEC-2018)At: Caen, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Yue S, Wang CY (2004) The Mann-Kendall test modified by effective sample size to detect trend in serially correlated hydrological series. Water Resour Manag 18(3):201–218. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:WARM.0000043140.61082.60 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zeleňáková M, Purcz P, Hlavatá H, Gargar I, Portela MM (2014) Statistical trends of precipitation in chosen climatic station in Slovakia and Libya. WSEAS Trans Environ Dev 10(1):298–305Google Scholar