Enhanced arsenate removal from aqueous solution by Mn-doped MgAl-layered double hydroxides
- 145 Downloads
In this study, Mn-doped MgAl-layered double hydroxides (LDHs) were successfully synthesized for efficient removal arsenate from aqueous solution. The structure and composition of Mn-doped MgAl-LDHs intercalated by different ions such as CO32−, Cl−, or NO3− were investigated. The characterizations of XRD, ATR FT-IR, SEM, TG-DTA, and N2 adsorption-desorption presented that the Mn-doped MgAl-LDHs (donated as Mn-LDHs) have very similar physical morphologies and properties to the MgAl-Cl-LDHs (donated as Mg-LDHs). However, the Mn-LDHs exhibits more preferable arsenate adsorption than Mg-LDHs. The As(V) removal kinetics data of Mn-LDHs is followed pseudo-second-order expression. The adsorption capacity of As(V) on Mn-LDHs via Langmuir isotherm model was 166.94 mg g−1. The results of XPS revealed that the enhanced removal mechanism can be attributed to surface complexation of As(V) with Mn on the surface of Mn-LDHs. These results prove that Mn-doped LDHs can be considered as a potential material for adsorption As(V) from wastewater.
KeywordsArsenate Layered double hydroxides Manganese Doped Adsorption Surface complexation
This study received financial support from the Natural Science Foundation of Liaoning Province of China (No. 20170540727), the Science and Technology Program of Shenyang (No. 18-013-0-28), the Scientific Research Fund of Liaoning Provincial Education Department (No. LQ2017012), and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21607107).
- Cardoso APF, Al-Eryani L, States C (2018) Arsenic-induced carcinogenesis: the impact of miRNA dysregulation. Toxicol Sci 165(2):284–290Google Scholar
- Castro KADF, Wypych F, Antonangelo A, Mantovani KM, Bail A, Ucoski GM, Ciuffi KJ, Cintra TE, Nakagaki S (2016) Selective oxidation catalysts obtained by immobilization of iron(III) porphyrins on thiosalicylic acid-modified Mg-Al layered double hydroxides. J Colloid Interface Sci 478:374–384CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freundlich HMF (1906) Über die adsorption in lösungen. Z Phys Chem 57:385–470Google Scholar
- Goh KH, Lim TT, Dong Z (2008) Application of layered double hydroxides for removal of oxyanions: A review. Water Res 42: 1343–1368Google Scholar
- Lagergren S (1898) About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances. Kungliga Svenska Vetensk Handl 24:1–39Google Scholar
- Otgonjargal E, Kim YS, Park SM, Baek K, Yang JS (2012) Mn–Fe layered double hydroxides for adsorption of As(III) and As(V). Sep Sci Technol 47:2192–2198Google Scholar
- Soori MM, Ghahramani E, Kazemian H, Al-Musawi TJ, Zarrabi M (2016) Intercalation of tetracycline in nano sheet layered double hydroxide: An insight into UV/VIS spectra analysis. J Taiwan Inst Chem Eng 63:271–285Google Scholar