Impacts of leachate of landfill on the groundwater hydrochemistry and size distributions and heavy metal components of colloids: a case study in NE China
- 39 Downloads
Colloids associated with heavy metals are ubiquitous in contaminated groundwater; waste accumulation at imperfectly sealed landfills can produce large amounts of leachate with colloids and heavy metal contaminants, which can pollute the downstream groundwater. In this study, three sites in a landfill were sampled to reveal heavy metal particle size distributions and their chemical compositions. The > 220 nm particle sizes were the predominant size in the downstream groundwater, while the < 10 nm particle sizes were the predominant size in the upstream groundwater. Total Fe increased from 35.5 μg/L in the upstream groundwater to 107 μg/L in the downstream groundwater. This increase was attributed to the enhanced migration and accumulation of colloids in the aqueous phase. The elements and the colloid size distribution in the landfill indirectly reflected the composition and degradation of the waste. Colloids played a key role in distribution of both solid particles and aqueous contaminants in the landfill. The results of this study will contribute to the knowledge of the effect of different contaminants in the vicinity of landfills without appropriate sealing systems.
KeywordsMultivariate analysis Heavy metal Landfill Particle size distribution Colloids
The authors thank Paul Seward, PhD, from Liwen Bianji, Edanz Group China (www.liwenbianji.cn/ac), for editing the English text of a draft of this manuscript.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (41472215, 41877175, and 41877174) and the 111 Project [B16020].
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2013). Multivariate data analysis: Pearson new international edition. Pearson Education Limited Google Scholar
- Markic DN, Bjelic D, Drakulic NZ, Carapina HS, Zeljka, & Pesic, S. (2015) Assessment of the impact of banjaluka landfill on groundwater quality. Carpath J Earth Environ Sci 10(2):271–280Google Scholar
- Santofimia E, Lópezpamo E, Palomino EJ, Gonzáleztoril E, Aguilera Á (2017) Acid rock drainage in Nevado Pastoruri glacier area (Huascarán National Park, Perú): hydrochemical and mineralogical characterization and associated environmental implications. Environ Sci Pollut Res 24(11):1–17Google Scholar
- Zayen A, Mnif S, Jlaeïl L, Bouaziz M, Sayadi S (2015) Phthalates accumulation inside an anaerobic membrane bioreactor for landfill leachate treatment. Desalin Water Trea 53(4):1136–1143Google Scholar
- Zou D, Chi Y, Dong J, Fu C, Ni M (2015) Supercritical water oxidation of MSW leachate: factor analysis and behavior of heavy metals. Environ Prog Sustain Energy 33(4):1117–1124Google Scholar