Melatonin attenuates bisphenol A-induced toxicity of the adrenal gland of Wistar rats
- 52 Downloads
This study investigated the role of melatonin (MLT) on adrenal gland toxicity induced by bisphenol A (BPA). Adult male rats were divided into four groups of seven animals each: Group I (control) received oral 0.2 ml canola oil; group II received intra-peritoneal 10 mg/kg BW/day MLT; and group III received oral BPA (10 mg/kg BW/day). Group IV rats were treated with same dose of BPA as group III with a concomitant intra-peritoneal 10 mg/kg BW/day MLT. All treatments lasted for 14 days. BPA significantly increased (P < 0.05) adrenal index, circulating levels of corticosterone and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) in the rats. BPA caused marked vascular congestion, hyperplasia, cellular distortion, increased lipid peroxidation, decreased antioxidant enzymes, and decreased expression of αSmooth muscle actin as well as vimentin proteins. The concomitant treatment with MLT ameliorated these BPA-induced alterations. It is likely that melatonin attenuates BPA-induced alterations of the adrenal gland of rats through the antioxidant defense mechanism.
KeywordsBisphenol A toxicity Melatonin attenuation Adrenal gland Corticosterone Adrenocorticotropic hormone
The authors hereby acknowledge the technical assistance received from the Pathology Section, Department of Para-clinical Studies, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Dr. S.G. Olukole was a Post-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, South Africa. Dr. Tayo Omobowale of the Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria provided the melatonin used in the study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Abd-Elrazek AM, Ahmed-Farid OAH (2018) Protective effect of L-carnitine and L-arginine against busulfan-induced oligospermia in adult rat. Andrologia 50. https://doi.org/10.1111/and.12806
- Amaral FG, Turati AO, Barone M, Scialfa JH, Do Carmo Buonfiglio D, Peres R, Peliciari-Garcia RA, Afeche SC, Lima L, Scavone C, Bordin S, Reiter RJ, Menna-Barreto L, Cipolla-Neto J (2014) Melatonin synthesis impairment as a new deleterious outcome of diabetes-derived hyperglycemia. J Pineal Res 57:67–79. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpi.12144 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beutler E, Duron O, Kelly BM (1963) Improved method for the determination of blood glutathione. J Lab Clin Med 61:882–888Google Scholar
- Chrousos GP, Gold PW (1992) The concepts of stress and stress system disorders: overview of physical and behavioral homeostasis. JAMS 267:1244–1252Google Scholar
- Dawood GA (2016) Histological study of Bisphenol-A effect on the adrenal gland in the female rats. J Kerbala University 14, 87–95Google Scholar
- García-Arevalo M, Alonso-Magdalena P, Dos Santos JR, Quesada I, Carneiro EM, Nadal A (2014) Exposure to bisphenol-A during pregnancy partially mimics the effects of a high-fat diet altering glucose homeostasis and gene expression in adult male mice. PLoS One 9:e100214. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0100214 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gobbo MG, Dizeyi N, Abrahamsson PA, Bertilsson PA, Masitéli VS, Pytlowanciv EZ, Taboga SR, Goes RM (2015) Influence of melatonin on the proliferative and apoptotic responses of the prostate under normal and hyperglycemic conditions. J Diabetes Res 538529:1–18. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/538529 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ola-Davies OE, Olukole SG, Lanipekun DO (2018) Protective effect of gallic acid against bisphenol A-induced morphological alterations of the prostate gland of Wistar rats. Pharm Chem J 5:34–39Google Scholar
- Reiter RJ, Tan D-X, Gitto E, Sainz RM, Mayo JC, Leon JC, Manchester LC, Vijayalaxmi KE, Kilic U (2004) Pharmacological utility of melatonin in reducing oxidative cellular and molecular damage. Pol J Pharmacol 56:159–170Google Scholar
- Reiter RJ, Tan D-X, Terron MP, Flores LJ, Czarnocki Z (2007) Melatonin and its metabolites: new findings regarding their production and their radical scavenging actions. Acta Biochim Pol 54:1–9Google Scholar
- Tabassum H, Parvez S, Raisuddin S (2016) Melatonin abrogates nonylphenol-induced testicular dysfunction in Wistar rats. Andrologia 49. https://doi.org/10.1111/and.12648
- Tyl RW, Myers CB, Marr MC, Thomas BF, Keimowitz AR, Brine DR, Veselica MM, Fail PA, Chang TY, Seely JC, Joiner RL, Butala JH, Dimond SS, Cagen SZ, Shiotsuka RN, Stropp GD, Waechter JM (2002) Three generation reproductive toxicity study of dietary bisphenol A in CD Sprague-Dawley rats. Toxicol Sci 68:121–146. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/68.1.121 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou Y, Tang Y, Tang J, Fei-Deng F, Gong G, Dai Y (2015b) Primary adrenal leiomyosarcoma: a case report and review of literature. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 8:4258–4263Google Scholar