Effect of the adsorption pH and temperature on the parameters of the Brouers–Sotolongo models
- 48 Downloads
The goal of the present paper was to elucidate if—and how—the parameters of the Brouers–Sotolongo fractal (BSf) (n,α) kinetic model (α and τC) on the one hand, and of the generalised Brouers–Sotolongo (GBS) isotherm model (a and b) on the other hand, are correlated with adsorption pH and temperature. For that purpose, adsorption of aqueous solutions of two common dyes, methylene blue (MB) and methyl orange (MO) was carried out on four activated carbons (ACs) at three temperatures (25, 35 and 50 °C) and three pH (2.5, 5 and 8). Adsorption kinetics and isotherms were measured, and the corresponding curves were best fitted with specific forms of the aforementioned models, and corresponding to equations known as BSf (1,α) kinetic and Brouers–Gaspard isotherm models. Correlations between all model parameters and adsorption conditions were found, bringing some information about the adsorbate–adsorbent interaction.
KeywordsAdsorption Activated carbon Dyes Fractal kinetics Brouers–Gaspard isotherm Heterogeneous surface
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from the EU-METALIC: Erasmus Mundus project and the Tunisian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- Enaime G, Ennaciri K, Ounas A, Baçaoui A, Seffen M, Selmi T, Yaacoubi A (2017) Preparation and characterization of activated carbons from olive wastes by physical and chemical activation: application to Indigo carmine adsorption. J Mater Environ Sci 8:4125–4137Google Scholar
- Freundlich H (1906) Over the adsorption in solution. J Phys Chem 57:385–471Google Scholar
- Lagergren S (1898) Zur Theorie der Sogenannten Adsorption Gelöster Stoffe. Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakade- miens Handlingar 24:1–39Google Scholar
- Selmi T, Sanchez-Sanchez A, Gadonneix P, Jagiello J, Seffen M, Sammouda H, Celzard A, Fierro V (2018a) Tetracycline removal with activated carbons produced by hydrothermal carbonisation of Agave americana fibres and mimosa tannin. Ind Crop Prod 115:146–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2018.02.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Selmi T, Seffen M, Brouers F, Fierro V, Sammouda H (2018b) Adsorption of model dyes onto porous materials: effect of ph and temperature on the parameters of Brouers-Sotolongo kinetic fractal and generalized isotherm. In: Kallel A, Ksibi M, Ben Dhia H, Khélifi N (eds) Recent advances in environmental science from the Euro-Mediterranean and surrounding regions: Proceedings of Euro-Mediterranean Conference for Environmental Integration (EMCEI-1), Tunisia 2017. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 1039–1041. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-70548-4_299
- Temkin MI (1941) Adsorption equilibriumand kinetics of process on non homogeneous surfaces and in the interaction between adsorbed molecules. J Phys Chem 15:296–233Google Scholar
- Weber WJ, Morris JC (1963) Kinetics of adsorption on carbonfrom solution. J Sanit Eng Div 89:31–60Google Scholar