A study on the evaluation of water-bloom using image processing
This study utilized remote sensing techniques using an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with an attached multispectral sensor to monitor the Nakdong River. In this study, chlorophyll-a, an indicator of water quality and the normalization difference vegetation index (NDVI), which indicates the vitality of plant growth was employed. NDVI images were generated using georeferenced and Orthomosaic images. The data (field samples) used to conduct the study was collected in September 2017. The relationship between the chlorophyll-a concentrations and NDVI was then examined. The results of the relationship can be used in monitoring of green algae for water quality management.
KeywordsChlorophyll-a Multispectral Unmanned aerial vehicle
This research was supported by a grant (17CTAP-C117026-02) from Technology Advancement Research Program funded by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government also was supported by a funding from Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (2017).
- Bendea H, Boccardo P, Dequal S, Giulio Tonolo F, Marenchino D, Piras M (2008) Low cost UAV for post-disaster assessment. Int Arch Photogramm Remote Sens Spat Inf Sci 37:1373–1379. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.184.2705&rep=rep1&type=pdf Google Scholar
- Cândido AKAA, Paranhos Filho AC, Haupenthal MR, Silva NM, Correa JS, Ribeiro ML (2016) Water quality and chlorophyll measurement through vegetation indices generated from orbital and suborbital images. Water Air Soil Pollut 224–227. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-016-2919-7
- Chen L, Tan CH, Kao SJ, Wang TS (2008) Improvement of remote monitoring on water quality in a subtropical reservoir by incorporating grammatical evolution with parallel genetic algorithms into satellite imagery. Water Res 42:296–306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.07.014 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Doña C, Chang NB, Caselles V, Sánchez JM, Camacho A, Delegido J, Vannah BW (2015) Integrated satellite data fusion and mining for monitoring lake water quality status of the Albufera de Valencia in Spain. J Environ Manag 151:416–426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2014.12.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eaton AD, Clesceri LS, Rice EW, Greenberg AE (2005) Standard methods for the examination of water & wastewater, 10200 H. Chlorophyll 10:18–26. 21st ednGoogle Scholar
- Lin J, H Tao, Y Wang, Z Huang (2010) Practical application of unmanned aerial vehicles for mountain hazards survey. International Conference on Geoinformatics Chengdu China, June. 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/GEOINFORMATICS.2010.5567777
- Moses WJ, Gitelson AA, Berdnikov S, Bowles JH, Povazhnyi V, Saprygin V, Wagner JE, Patterson KW (2014) HICO-based NIR–red models for estimating chlorophyll-a concentration in productive coastal waters. IEEE Geosci Remote Sens Lett 11:1111–1115. https://doi.org/10.1109/LGRS.2013.2287458 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ouillon S, Forget P, Froidefond JM, Naudin JJ (1997) Estimating suspended matter concentrations from SPOT data and from field measurements in the Rhône river plume. Mar Technol Soc J 31:15–20Google Scholar
- Tebbs EJ, Remedios JJ, Harper DM (2013) Remote sensing of chlorophyll-a as ameasure of cyanobacterial biomass in Lake Bogoria, a hypertrophic,saline-alkaline, flamingo lake, using Landsat ETM+. Remote Sens Environ 135:92–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2013.03.024
- Vega FA, Ramirez FG, Saiz MP, Rosua FO (2015) Multi-temporal imaging using an unmanned aerial vehicle for monitoring a sunflower crop. Biosyst Eng 132:19–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2015.01.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zang W, Lin J, Wang Y, Tao H (2012) Investigating small-scale water pollution with UAV remote sensing technology. In World Automation Congress (WAC) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Puerto Vallarta, Mexico 1–4Google Scholar
- Zhengjun W, Jianming H, Guisen D (2008) Use of satellite imagery to assess the trophic state of Miyun reservoir, Beijing, China. Environ Pollut 155:13–19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2007.11.003