Production, characterization and effectiveness of cellulose acetate functionalized ZnO nanocomposite adsorbent for the removal of Se (VI) ions from aqueous media
In this study, ZnO functionalized cellulose acetate nanocomposite (ZnO/CA NC) was synthesized using a simple chemical approach found to have a high surface area of 657.34 m2/g and utilized as adsorbents for the removal of Se (VI) from aqueous solutions. Investigations on X-ray diffraction (XRD) revealed that ZnO nanocomposite has a smaller crystallite size compared to ZnO nanoparticles which facilitated for reduced agglomeration confirmed by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The ensuing properties of ZnO/CA NC displayed high maximum adsorption capacity of 160.5 mg/g for Se (VI) ions. Inner-sphere surface complexes on ZnO/CA NC under prevailing conditions for Se (VI) were discussed using FTIR spectroscopical results. In order to evaluate the removal efficiency, the effects of adsorbent dosage, pH, and temperature were thoroughly investigated. The amount of Se (VI) ions adsorbed on ZnO/CA NC was also determined by zeta potential. The fractional removal of pollutants (Se (VI)) was done using mass transfer model. In addition, prominent adsorption capacity was also tested utilizing concurrent anions (SO42−, Cl−, and F−) with reference to Se (VI) and cost prudent regenerability of adsorbent by NaOH solution was ascertained with anti-interference and recovery steps. ZnO/CA NC was obtained by simple chemical methodology and high surface adsorption capacities supply an encouraging technique for Se (VI) removal in water treatment applications.
KeywordsZinc oxide nanoparticles Selenate ions Adsorption Chemical approach Cellulose acetate
Authors provide sincere thanks to SSN trust for delivering financial support to carry out this work. Authors express their extended sole gratitude to SSN trust for awarding fellowship.
- Fordyce Fiona M (2013) Essentials of medical geology: selenium deficiency and toxicity in the environment. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- Fu Y, Wang J, Liu Q, Zeng H (2014) Water-dispersible magnetic nanoparticle−graphene oxide composites for selenium removal. Carbon 777:10–721Google Scholar
- Su T. Guan, X. Gu, G. Wang J (2008) Adsorption characteristics of As (V), Se (IV), and V (V) onto activated alumina: effects of pH, surface loading, and ionic strength. J Colloid Interface Sci 326: 347–353Google Scholar
- Johan Högberg and Jan Alexander (2007) Handbook on toxicology an metals- Selenium. AP 783–809Google Scholar
- Khan MF, Ansari AH, Hameedullah M, Ahmad E, Husain FM, Zia Q, Baig U, Zaheer MR, Alam MM, Khan AM, AlOthman ZA, Ahmad I, Ashraf GM, Aliev G (2016) Sol-gel synthesis of thorn-like ZnO nanoparticles endorsing mechanical stirring effect and their antimicrobial activities: potential role as nano-antibiotics. Sci Rep 6:27689CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu Z, Yu J, Zeng H, Liu Q (2017) Polyamine-modified magnetic graphene oxide nanocomposite for enhanced selenium removal. Sep Sci Technol 183:249–257Google Scholar
- G. Padmalaya, B. S. Sreeja, P. Dinesh Kumar, S. Radha, V. Poornima, M. Arivanandan, · Sujan Shrestha, T. S. Uma (2018) A facile synthesis of cellulose acetate functionalized zinc oxide nanocomposite for electrochemical sensing of cadmium ions. J Inorg Organomet Polym https://doi.org/10.1007/s10904-018-0989-2