Adsorption and removal of chromium (VI) contained in aqueous solutions using a chitosan-based hydrogel
- 96 Downloads
The aim of this work was to study the adsorption and removal of chromium (VI) ions contained in aqueous solutions using a chitosan-based hydrogel synthesized via chemical crosslinking of radical chitosan, polyacrylic acid, and N,N′-methylenebisacrylamide. Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy confirmed the hydrogel synthesis and presence of reactive functional groups for the adsorption of chromium (VI) ions. The chromium (VI) adsorption mechanism was evaluated using non-linear Langmuir, Freundlich, Redlich-Peterson, and Sips isotherms, with the best fit found by the non-linear Redlich-Peterson isotherm. The maximum chromium (VI) adsorption capacities of the chitosan-based hydrogel were 73.14 and 93.03 mg metal per g dried hydrogel, according to the non-linear Langmuir and Sips isotherm models, respectively. The best kinetic fit was found with the pseudo-nth order kinetic model. The chromium (VI) removal percentage at pH 4.5 and 100 mg L−1 initial metal concentration was 94.72%. The results obtained in this contribution can be useful for future works involving scale-up of a water and wastewater treatment method from a pilot plant to full-scale plant.
KeywordsChromium (VI) Removal Hydrogel Chitosan Adsorption isotherms Kinetic models
ATP and PBV thank the Brazilian fostering agency CAPES for the master scholarship.
Brazilian fostering agency CNPq (Grant N° 312356/2015-3) for provided financial support.
- Aslani H, Kosari TE, Naseri S, Nabizadeh R, Khazaei M (2018) Hexavalent chromium removal from aqueous solution using functionalized chitosan as a novel nano-adsorbent: modeling and optimization, kinetic, isotherm, and thermodynamic studies, and toxicity testing. Environ Sci Pollut Res 25:20154–20168. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2023-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freundlich HMF (1906) Over the adsorption in solution. J Phys Chem 57:385–471Google Scholar
- Han Y, Cao X, Ouyang X, Sohi SP, Chen J (2016) Adsorption kinetics of magnetic biochar derived from peanut hull on removal of Cr(VI) from aqueous solution: effects of production conditions and particle size. Chemosphere 145:336–341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.11.050 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li XQ, Tang RC (2016) Crosslinking of chitosan fiber by a water-soluble diepoxy crosslinker for enhanced acid resistance and its impact on fiber structures and properties. React Funct Polym 100:116–122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2016.01.015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Luz MS, Oliveira PV (2011) Chromium speciation in waters using silica nanoparticles organofunctionalized with APTES and graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Br J Anal Chem 4:194–200Google Scholar
- Nascimento RF, Lima ACA, Vidal CB, Melo DQ, Raulino GSC (2014) Adsorção: Aspectos teóricos e aplicações ambientais. Fortaleza, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Norouzi S, Heidari M, Alipour V, Rahmanian O, Fazlzadeh M, Mohammadi-moghadam F, Nourmoradi H, Goudarzi B, Dindarloo K (2018) Preparation, characterization and Cr(VI) adsorption evaluation of naOH-activated carbon produced from date press cake; an agro-industrial waste. Bioresour Technol 258:48–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2018.02.106 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ravikumar KVG, Kumar D, Rajeshwari A, Madhu GM, Mrudula P, Chandrasekaran N, Mukherjee A (2015) A comparative study with biologically and chemically synthesized nZVI: applications in Cr(VI) removal and ecotoxicity assessment using indigenous microorganisms from chromium-contaminated site. Environ Sci Pollut Res 23:2613–2627. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5382-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tang N, Niu C, Li X, Liang C, Guo H, Lin L, Zheng C, Zeng G (2018) Efficient removal of Cd2+ and Pb2+ from aqueous solution with amino- and thiol- functionalized activated carbon: isotherm and kinetics modeling. Sci Total Environ 635:1331–1344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.04.236 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- USEPA, United States Environmental Protection Agency (2012) Basic information about chromium in drinking water. http://water.epa.gov/ drink/contaminants/basicinformation/chromium.cfm (Acessed 24 May 2018)
- Vieira RM, Vilela PB, Becegato VA, Paulino AT (2018) Chitosan-based hydrogel and chitosan/acid-activated montmorillonite composite hydrogel for the adsorption and removal of Pb2+ and Ni2+ ions accommodated in aqueous solutions. J Environ Chem Eng 6:2713–2723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.04.018 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu Y, Cha L, Fan Y, Fang P, Ming Z, Sha H (2017) Activated biochar prepared by pomelo peel using H3PO4 for the adsorption of hexavalent chromium: performance and mechanism. Water Air soil Pollut. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-017-3587-y