CFD modeling of a UV-A LED baffled flat-plate photoreactor for environment applications: a mining wastewater case
- 190 Downloads
The use of ultraviolet light in photoreactors for wastewater treatment has become popular as an alternative of known chemical oxidative substances. UV LED light represents cheaper, robust, and versatile alternative to traditional UV lamps. In this study, it was designed and evaluated a photoreactor with an approach of chemical fluid dynamics (CFD) and experimental validation. The evaluation consisted of (1) CFD velocity profile analysis, (2) characterization of the average light distribution with potassium ferrioxalate actinometry, (3) degradation of a typical recalcitrant metallic cyanocomplex Fe(CN)63−, and (4) scavenger effect analysis in the photodegradation using potassium persulfate. Actinometrical essay concluded that the system was able to receive 1.93 μE/s. The reactor operated under turbulent regime and best result for Fe(CN)63− degradation was obtained at 4 h of operation, using 5-W UV-A LEDs, with pH ~ 7 and 10 mM de S2O82−. Baffled photoreactor demonstrated to be useful for this type of illumination and wastewater treatment.
KeywordsPhotoreactor UV LED Cyanocomplex CFD Actinometry Photodegradation
Acknowledgements are given to the Project “Recuperación de oro y tratamiento de aguas residuales de minería aurífera CI 2832” funded by Colciencias and Universidad del Valle and the Young Researcher Program 2015 of Colciencias Francisco Jose Caldas.
- Bawornruttanaboonya K, Devahastin S, Mujumdar AS, Laosiripojana N (2017) A computational fluid dynamic evaluation of a new microreactor design for catalytic partial oxidation of methane. Int J Heat Mass Transf 115:174–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.08.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bennett J, Wiggins C (2003) A computational study of mixing microchannel flows. arXiv Prepr cond-mat/0307482 3–7Google Scholar
- Davididou K, Monteagudo JM, Chatzisymeon E, et al (2017) Degradation and mineralization of antipyrine by UV-A LED photo-Fenton reaction intensified by ferrioxalate with addition of persulfate. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2016.08.021
- Karunakaran C, Vasumathi D, Vinayagamoorthy P (2015) Enhanced photocatalytic Fe 3 + reduction with H 2 O 2 generation by TiO 2 anatase / rutile blend. Indian J Chem 54:1076–1084Google Scholar
- Kuhn HJ, Braslavsky SE, Schmidt R (2004) International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry—chemical Actinometry. IUPAC Tech Rep 1–47Google Scholar
- Mohajerani M, Mehrvar M, Ein-mozaffari F (2012) Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling of photochemical reactors. Appl Comput Fluid Dyn 155–176Google Scholar
- Nakata K, Fujishima A (2012) TiO2 photocatalysis: design and applications. J Photochem Photobiol C: Photochem Rev 13:169–189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochemrev.2012.06.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tokode O, Prabhu R, Lawton LA, Robertson PKJ (2014a) Mathematical modelling of quantum yield enhancements of methyl orange photooxidation in aqueous TiO2 suspensions under controlled periodic UV LED illumination. Appl Catal B Environ 156–157:398–403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2014.03.046 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Union I, Pure OF, Chemistry A (2005) International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry Chemical Actinometry. 1–47Google Scholar