Performance of Bi2O3/TiO2 prepared by sol-gel on p-Cresol degradation under solar and visible light
- 195 Downloads
Photocatalytic degradation of p-Cresol was evaluated using the mixed oxide Bi2O3/TiO2 (containing 2 and 20% wt. Bi2O3 referred as TB2 and TB20) and was compared with bare TiO2 under simulated solar radiation. Materials were prepared by the classic sol-gel method. All solids exhibited the anatase phase by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Raman spectroscopy. The synthesized materials presented lower crystallite size and Eg value, and also higher surface area as Bi2O3 amount was increased. Bi content was quantified showing near to 70% of theoretical values in TB2 and TB20. Bi2O3 incorporation also was demonstrated by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS). Characterization of mixed oxides suggests a homogeneous distribution of Bi2O3 on TiO2 surface. Photocatalytic tests were carried out using a catalyst loading of 1 g L−1 under simulated solar light and visible light. The incorporation of Bi2O3 in TiO2 improved the photocatalytic properties of the synthesized materials obtaining better results with TB20 than the unmodified TiO2 under both radiation sources.
KeywordsMixed oxide catalyst Phenolic compound Heterogeneous photocatalysis Visible light
H. Vigil wants to thank CONACyT for the granted fellowship.
This study was supported by the research fund of PAICyT-UANL IT491-15.
- Ashok Kumar KV, Chandana L, Ghosal P, Subrahmanyam C (2017) Simultaneous photocatalytic degradation of p-Cresol and Cr (VI) by metal oxides supported reduced graphene oxide. Mol Catal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcat.2017.11.014
- Ayekoe PY, Robert D, Goné DL (2017) Facile synthesis of TiO2/Bi2O3 heterojunctions for the photocatalytic degradation of water contaminants. Res Rev J Chem 6(2):77–83Google Scholar
- Escudero CJ, Iglesias O, Dominguez S, Rivero MJ, Ortiz I (2017) Performance of electrochemical oxidation and photocatalysis in terms of kinetics and energy consumption. New insights into the p-Cresol degradation. J Environ Manage 195:117–124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.04.049 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gómez CM, Del Angel G, Ramos-Ramírez E, Rangel-Vázquez I, González F, Arrieta A, Vázquez-Zavala A, Bonilla-Sánchez A, Sánchez Cantú M (2016) Alumina coating with TiO2 and its effect on catalytic photodegradation of phenol and p-Cresol. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 91:2211–2220. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.5025 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jackman MJ, Thomas AG, Muryn C (2015) Photoelectron spectroscopy study of stoichiometric and reduced Anatase TiO2 (101) surfaces: the effect of subsurface defects on water adsorption at near-ambient pressures. J Phys Chem C 119:13682–13690. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b02732 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li JJ, Cai SC, Xu Z, Chen X, Chen J, Jia HP, Chen J (2017) Solvothermal syntheses of Bi and Zn co-doped TiO2 with enhanced electron-hole separation and efficient photodegradation of gaseous toluene under visible-light. J Hazard Mater 325:261–270. https://doi.org/10.1061/j.hazmat.2016.12.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Macías-Tamez R, Villanueva-Rodríguez M, Ramos-Delgado NA, Maya-Treviño L, Hernández-Ramírez A (2017) Comparative study of the photocatalytic degradation of the herbicide 2,4-D using WO3/TiO2 and Fe2O3/TiO2 as catalysts. Water Air Soil Pollut 228(10):379. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-017-3560-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mendiola-Alvarez SY, Guzmán-Mar JL, Turnes-Palomino G, Maya-Alejandro F (2017) UV and visible activation of Cr(III)-doped TiO2 catalyst prepared by a microwave-assisted sol–gel method during MCPA degradation. Environ Sci Pollut Res 24:12673–12682. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-016-8034-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sood S, Kumar-Mehta S, Sinha ASK, Kumar-Kansai S (2016) Bi2O3/TiO2 heterostructures: synthesis, characterization and their application in solar light mediated photocatalyzed degradation of an antibiotic, ofloxacin. Chem Eng J 290:45–52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2016.01.017 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- USEPA, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (1996) Microwave Assisted Acid Digestion of Siliceous and Organically Based Matrices. EPA Method 3052. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-12/documents/3052.pdf Accessed 20 June 2017
- USEPA, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (2005) Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-09/documents/cancer_guidelines_final_3-25-05.pdf Accessed 26 January 2018
- Yi W, Yana C, Hamdy MS, Baltrusaitis J, Mul G (2014) Effects of bismuth addition and photo-deposition of platinum on (surface) composition, morphology and visible light photocatalytic activity of sol–gel derived TiO2. Appl Catal B Environ 154-155:153–160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2014.01.055 CrossRefGoogle Scholar