Characterization, preparation, and uses of nanomagnetic Fe3O4 impregnated onto fish scale as more efficient adsorbent for Cu2+ ion adsorption
- 85 Downloads
In this research, the Cu2+ ion adsorption from aqueous solution was investigated by fish scale (FS) and nanomagnetic (Fe3O4) loaded fish scale (MFS) from fishery biomass. We characterized the structure and morphology of synthesized magnetic adsorbent by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), FESEM, and XRD. The FTIR and XRD tests confirmed the collagen fibers, apatite crystals, and nanomagnetite particles presence in the MFS structure. The isotherm models of Langmuir, Freundlich, and Dubinin-Radushkevich were exerted to the empirical equilibrium data, by which was found that the Langmuir equation have the best fit to the experimental data in comparison to the other isotherm equations. The maximum capacities of monolayer coverage of FS and MFS for adsorption of Cu2+ ions were achieved, respectively, 61.73 and 103.1 mg g−1 based on Langmuir isotherm at 45 °C. It was also discovered that the Cu2+ ion adsorption onto MFS was totally a physisorption-controlled process. It was perceived that the model of pseudo-second order rate kinetics also could be applied for predicting of studied adsorption processes. Here, the adsorption was a spontaneous and endothermic process because of the negative and the positive values of ∆G0 and ∆H0, respectively. The reusability potential of the used adsorbents was studied, so that the results showed an efficiency of 76.5 and 83.92% for FS and MFS, respectively, after four adsorption-desorption cycles.
KeywordsAdsorption Magnetic fish scale Fe3O4 Characterization Cu2+ ions
The authors are worthy to thank the Caspian Sea Basin Research Centre (CSBRC) for the support of the research, under contract 1863777 from the present study.
- Aflaki Jalali M, Dadvand Koohi A, Sheykhan M (2016) Experimental study of the removal of copper ions using hydrogels of xanthan, 2-acrylamido-2-methyl-1-propane sulfonic acid, montmorillonite: kinetic and equilibrium study. Carbohydr Polym 142:124–132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2016.01.033 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fan S, Tang J, Wang Y, Li H, Zhang H, Tang J, Wang Z, Li X (2016) Biochar prepared from co-pyrolysis of municipal sewage sludge and tea waste for the adsorption of methylene blue from aqueous solutions: kinetics, isotherm, thermodynamic and mechanism. J Mol Liq 220:432–441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molliq.2016.04.107 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kongsri S, Janpradit K, Buapa K, Techawongstien S, Chanthai S (2013) Nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite from fish scale waste: preparation, characterization and application for selenium adsorption in aqueous solution. Chem Eng J 215–216:522–532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.11.054 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Milosavljević NB, Ristić MD, Perić-Grujić AA, Filipović JM, Štrbac SB, Rakočević ZL, Krušić MTK (2011) Removal of Cu2+ ions using hydrogels of chitosan, itaconic and methacrylic acid: FTIR, SEM/EDX, AFM, kinetic and equilibrium study. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 388:59–69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2011.08.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rahbar N, Yazdanpanah H, Ramezani Z, Shushizadeh MR, Enayat M, Mansourzadeh M (2017) Comparative and competitive adsorption of Cu(II), Cd(II) and Pb(II) onto Sepia pharaonis endoskeleton biomass from aqueous solutions. Water Environ J. https://doi.org/10.1111/wej.12316
- Ribeiro C, Scheufele FB, Espinoza-Quiñones FR, Modenes AN, da Silva MGC, Vieira MGA, Borba CE (2015) Characterization of Oreochromis niloticus fish scales and assessment of their potential on the adsorption of reactive blue 5G dye. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 482:693–701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2015.05.057 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uzunoğlu D, Özer A (2015) Adsorption of Acid Blue 121 dye on fish (Dicentrarchus labrax) scales, the extracted from fish scales and commercial hydroxyapatite: equilibrium, kinetic, thermodynamic, and characterization studies. Desalin Water Treat 57:14109–14131. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2015.1111594 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uzunoğlu D, Özer A (2016) Adsorption of hazardous heavy metal copper(II) from aqueous effluents onto waste material fish (Dicentrarchus labrax) scales: optimization, equilibrium, kinetics, thermodynamic, and characterization studies. Desalin Water Treat 57:22794–22798. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2015.1111594 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu Y, Zhou J, Wen Y, Jiang L (2012) Biosorption of heavy metal ions (Cu2+, Mn2+, Zn2+, and Fe3+) from aqueous solutions using activated sludge: comparison of aerobic activated sludge with anaerobic activated sludge. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 168:2079–2093. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-012-9919-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar