Efficient removal of arsenic(III) from aqueous media using magnetic polyaniline-doped strontium–titanium nanocomposite
- 68 Downloads
In this study, a novel nanocomposite adsorbent based on magnetic polyaniline and strontium–titanium (MP-SrTiO3) nanoparticles was synthesized via a simple and low-cost polymerization method for efficiently removing of arsenic(III) ions from aqueous samples. The chemical structure, surface properties, and morphology of the prepared adsorbent were studied using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), and scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The main effective parameters on the removal efficiency, such as pH, adsorbent dosage, salt, and contact time, were studied and optimized. The validity of the proposed method was checked by adsorption isotherm and kinetics models. Consequently, the adsorption kinetics corresponded to the first order (R2 > 0.99), and the experimental equilibrium fitted the Langmuir model with a maximum monolayer adsorption capacity of 67.11 mg/g (R2 > 0.99) for arsenic(III) ions. Corresponding to thermodynamic Vant’s Hof model (ΔG° (kJ/mol), ΔH° (kJ/mol), and ΔS° (kJ/mol K) − 8.19, − 60.61, and − 0.17, respectively), the mechanism and adsorption nature were investigated with that suggested exothermic and physisorption mechanism.
KeywordsPolyaniline Strontium–titanium oxide Magnetic adsorbent Arsenic Kinetics Adsorption isotherm
The authors would like to thank Tehran Province Water & Wastewater Co., (Tehran, Iran) and Graduate Faculty of Environment (University of Tehran) for the facilities.
- Grund SC, Hanusch K, Wolf HU (2008) Arsenic and arsenic compounds.. Ullmann’s Encycl Ind Chem,Google Scholar
- Rashidi Nodeh H, Wan Ibrahim WA, Ali I, Sanagi MM (2016) Development of magnetic graphene oxide adsorbent for the removal and preconcentration of As(III) and As(V) species from environmental water samples. Environ Sci Pollut Res 23:9759–9773. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-016-6137-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sellaoui L, Dotto GL, Lamine AB, Erto A (2017b) Interpretation of single and competitive adsorption of cadmium and zinc on activated carbon using monolayer and exclusive extended monolayer models. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 24(24):19902–19908. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-9562-8. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sereshti H, Farahani MV, Baghdadi M (2015b) Trace determination of chromium(VI) in environmental water samples using innovative thermally reduced graphene (TRG) modified SiO2 adsorbent for solid phase extraction and UV-Vis Spectrophotometry. Talanta 146:662–669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2015.06.051 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shahabuddin S, Sarih NM, Afzal Kamboh M, Rashidi Nodeh H, Mohamad S (2016b) Synthesis of polyaniline coated graphene oxide@SrTiO3 nanocube nanocomposites for enhanced removal of carcinogenic dyes from aqueous solution. Polymers (Basel) 8:305–310. https://doi.org/10.20944/preprints201608.0128.v1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou Q, Wang J, Liao X et al (2015) Removal of As(III) and As(V) from water using magnetic core-shell nanomaterial Fe3O4@polyaniline. Int J Green Technol 1:55–64Google Scholar