Removal of lead from aqueous solution using polyacrylonitrile/magnetite nanofibers
- 316 Downloads
Lead is known for its toxic and non-biodegradable behavior. The consumption of lead-contaminated water is one of the major threat the world is facing nowadays. In this study, polyacrylonitrile (PAN) and magnetite (Fe3O4) composite nanofiber adsorbent was developed for Pb2+ removal in batch mode. The synthesis was done by a simple and scalable process of electrospinning followed by chemical precipitation of Fe3O4. The nanofibers thus obtained were characterized through FTIR, zeta potential analyzer, and scanning electron microscope (SEM) and were analyzed for their adsorption capability for Pb2+ ions. The amount of metal ion adsorbed was influenced by the initial metal ion concentration, the time the adsorbent was in contact, the amount of nanofiber, and the pH of the solution. The experimental data fitted well with pseudo 2nd-order and Langmuir adsorption isotherm model. The nanofibers showed high adsorption capability and could be recommended for Pb2+ removal successfully.
KeywordsPollution Lead Magnetite Adsorption Electrospinning Nanofibers
The work was supported by Mehran University of Engineering and Technology Jamshoro Pakistan and University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Badawi MA, Negm NA, Abou Kana MTH, Hefni HH, Abdel Moneem MM (2017) Adsorption of aluminium and lead from wastewater by chitosan-tannic acid modified biopolymers: isotherm, kinetics thermodynamics and process mechanism. Int J Biol Macromol 99:465–476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.03.003 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chang J, Wang J, Qu J, Li YV, Ma L, Wang L, Wang X, Pan K (2016) Preparation of alpha-Fe2O3/Polyacrylonitrile nanofiber mat as effective lead adsorbent. Environ. Sci: Nano 3:894–901Google Scholar
- Elwakeel KZ, El-Bindary AA, Kouta EY, Guibal E. (2017) Functionalization of polyacrylonitrile/Na-Y-zeoilte composite with amidoxime groups for the sorption of Cu(II), Cd(II) and Pb II) metal ions. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2017.09.091
- Khan MQ, Lee H, Khatri Z, Kharaghani D, Khatri M, Ishikawa T, Im SS, Kim IS (2017) Fabrication and characterization of nanofibers of honey/poly (1,4-cyclohexane dimethylene isosorbide terephthalate) by electrospinning. Materials Sci Engineering-C 81:247–251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2017.08.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Khatri Z, Ahmed F, Khatri A, Khatri M, Qureshi UA, Kim IS (2017) Screen printed electrospun cellulose nanofibers using reactive dyes. Cellulose 24(10):4561–4568Google Scholar
- Morillo et al (2016) Superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticle-loaded polyacrylonitrile nanofiber with enhanced aresnate removal performance. Environ. Sci:Nano 3:1165–1173Google Scholar
- Mohan S, Kumar V, Singh DK, Hasan SH (2017) Effective removal of lead ions using graphene oxide-MgO nanohybrid from aqueous solution: isotherm, kinetic and thermodynamic modeling of adsorption. J Environ Chemical Engineering 5(3):2259–2273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2017.03.031 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pan W, He X, Chen Y (2010) Preparation and characterization of polyacrylonitrile/antimony doped tin oxide composite nanofibers by electrospinning method. Optoelectronincs Advanced Materials-Rapid Communications 4:390–394Google Scholar
- Shalaby TI, El-Kady MF, Zaki AHM, El-Kholy SM (2017) Preparation and application of magnetite nanoparticles immobilized cellulose acetate nanofibers for lead removal from polluted water. Water Sci Technol Water Supply 17(1):176–187Google Scholar
- Tchounwou PB, Yedjou CG, Patlolla AK, Sutton DJ (2012). Heavy metals toxicity and the environment. NIH Public AccessGoogle Scholar