POP levels in blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) and edible fish from the eastern Mediterranean coast
- 282 Downloads
Organochlorinated pesticides and Aroclors were measured in the muscle of two edible fish species (gray mullet, sea bream) and blue crab, collected from eastern Mediterranean coast in 2013. The concentration of organochlorinated pesticides (OCPs) and Aroclors in biota samples which were collected at six sites ranged from 1.0–8.6 and 9–47.5 ng g−1 wet weight, respectively. Total DDT concentrations in seafood samples were compared to tolerance level established by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA); the concentrations were detected below the tolerence level. Health risk assessment was conducted related to the consumption of chemically contaminated seafood. The estimated daily intake of OCPs calculated by using the estimated daily fish consumption in Turkey was far below the acceptable daily intake as established by FAO/WHO. Our data indicated that consumption of blue crab, gray mullet, and sea bream collected from the Mediterranean coast of Turkey could pose “no risk” for human health in terms of OCPs.
KeywordsPesticide Aroclors Blue crab Sea bream Gray mullet Eastern Mediterranean coast
- Baker K, DeJoy D, Wilson M (2007) Using online health risk assesments. The Journal of Employee Assistance:27–36Google Scholar
- Coelhan M, Strohmeier J, Barlas H (2006) Organochlorine levels in edible fish from the Marmara Sea Turkey. Environ Int 32:775–780Google Scholar
- Dagli S (2008) Stockholm Convention and current situation on POPs in Turkey. In E. Mehmetli, B. Koumanova Eds. The Fate of Persistent Organic Pollutants in the Environment (pp. 21–30). The Nato Science for Peace and Security Program, Springer.Google Scholar
- Demirel Z, Ozer O, Ozpınar Z (2011) Investigation of groundwater pollution in a protected area in Turkey. The Göksu Delta. Gazi University Journal of Science 24(1):17–27Google Scholar
- DFG Method S 19. (1999). Modular multiple analytical method for the determination of pesticide residues in foodstuffs included in the official German manual as method L 00.00–34.Google Scholar
- Dugan EJ, Ichikawa G, Stephenson M, Crane DB, McCall J, Regalado K (2005) Final report monitoring monitoring of coastal caontaminants using san crabs. Prepared for: Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board 18.Google Scholar
- FAO (2012) World Review of Fisheries and Aquaculture Part 1. http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i2727e/i2727e01.pdf
- FAO/WHO (2003) Food Standarts. Pesticide Residues in Food and Feed. http://www.codexalimentarius.net/pestres/data/pesticides/details.html?id=43
- Kozlova TA (1997) Seasonal cycles in total chemical, composition of two Lake Baikal benthic-pelagic sculpins (Cottocomephorus,Cottoidei). J Fish Biol 50:734–743Google Scholar
- Kucuksezgin F (2011) The water quality of Izmir Bay: a case study. In: Whitacre DM (ed) Book series: Rev Environ Contam T, vol 211. Springer, United States, New York, pp. 1–24Google Scholar
- Larsson P, Okla L, Collvin L (1993) Reproductive status and lipidcontent as factors in PCB, DDT and HCH contamination of a population of pike (Esox lucius L.). Environ Toxicol Chem 12:855–861Google Scholar
- Prignano AL, Narquis CT, Hyatt, JE (2008) Generating the right PCB data: determination of Aroclors versus PCB congeners-8075. Waste Manegement Conference WM2008, Feb 24–28, 2008, Phoenix, AZ.Google Scholar
- TUIK (2013). Su Ürünleri İstatistikleri. ISSN 1013–6177 (In Turkish)Google Scholar
- UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme) (2009). Stockholm Convention on POPs. <http://www.pops.int > .
- UNEP/IOC/IAEA/FAO (1990). Reference Method No 57: Contaminant monitoring programs using marine organisms: quality assurance and good laboratory practice. UNEP.Google Scholar
- WHO, 2010. Inventory of IPCS and Other WHO Pesticide Evaluations and Summary of Toxicological Evaluations Performed by the Joint Meeting on Pesticide Residues (JMPRs) through 2010. <http://www.who.int/foodsafety/chem/jmpr/publications/jmpr_pesticide/en/index.html > .
- Yılgor S, Avcı M (2004) Fethiye Limanı sedimentlerinde agir metal birikimleri. Turk Sucul Yasam Dergisi:428–434 In TurkishGoogle Scholar