The presence of cadmium in the intertidal environments of a moderately impacted coastal lagoon in western Portugal (Óbidos Lagoon)—spatial and seasonal evaluations
- 203 Downloads
A seasonal environmental monitoring program was carried out (winter 2009 to summer 2010) to evaluate the spatial and seasonal cadmium concentrations in the intertidal environments of the Óbidos Lagoon (Portugal). Also, some environmental parameters were monitored at each sampling station. Both the water and the sediment samples were contaminated, although to different degrees. In general, cadmium contamination appears to be mostly focused on the inner areas of the lagoon, namely, in Barrosa’s arm, which receives a small tributary contaminated by agro-industrial activities. Only cadmium concentration in sediment showed to be significantly influenced by seasons. Some environmental parameters presented spatial and temporal heterogeneity which influenced, to some extent, cadmium bioavailability. The results of this study allow a better understanding of the environmental quality of this ecosystem regarding cadmium contamination and may assist in the definition of future coastal management measures specifically targeted to trace metal contamination and pollution monitoring.
KeywordsCadmium Coastal management Environmental parameters Pollution Trace metals
This work was carried out within the scope of the research projects “Monitoring of Coastal Habitats,” funded by INDEA-IPL (Polytechnic Institute of Leiria), and “Seasonal evaluation of the environmental quality of the Óbidos Lagoon,” funded by IMAR-CMA, Marine and Environmental Research Centre. The authors gratefully acknowledge GIRM, IMAR-CMA, and MARE for their technical and logistic support, and all the colleagues at GIRM who assisted in the field and laboratory work. The research conducted complies with the current Portuguese Law.
- Aderinola OJ, Clarke EO, Olarinmoye OM, Kusemiju V, Anatekhai MA (2009) Heavy metals in surface water, sediments. Fish and Perwinkles of Lagos Lagoon. Am-Eurasian J Agric Environ Sci 5:609–617Google Scholar
- Costa JC, Arsénio P, Monteiro-Henriques T, Neto C, Pereira E, Almeida T, Izco J (2009) Finding the boundary between Eurosiberian and Mediterranean salt marshes. J Coast Res SI 56:130–134Google Scholar
- IST/IPIMAR, 2008.Variação sazonal e intra-anual da qualidade da água na Lagoa de Óbidos, seus afluentes e emissário submarino da Foz do Arelho (Final report: October 2004-january 2008).Google Scholar
- Neves, R., Vale, C., Santos, M., 2008. Caracterização qualitativa da Lagoa de Óbidos e seus efluentes e do emissário submarino da Foz do Arelho: Relatório de Campanha: Agosto e Setembro. Instituto Superior TécnicoGoogle Scholar
- Point D, Monperrus M, Tessier E, Amouroux D, Chauvaud L, Thouzeau G, Jean F, Amice E, Grall J, Leynaert A, Clavier J, Donard OFX (2007) Biological control of trace metal and organometal benthic fluxes in a eutrophic lagoon (Thau Lagoon, Mediterranean Sea, France). Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 72:457–471. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2006.11.013 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Portuguese Decree Law 236/98, of 1 August 1998, establishing standards, criteria and quality objectives in order to protect the aquatic environment and improve the water quality, according to its main applications. J. Govern. Port. Repúb. D. Repúb. 176;3676 e3722.Google Scholar
- Thouzeau G, Grall J, Clavier J, Chauvaud L, Jean F, Leynaert A, Longphuirt SN, Amice E, Amouroux D (2007) Spatial and temporal variability of benthic biogeochemical fluxes associated with macrophytic and macrofaunal distribuitions in the Thau lagoon (France). Estuar Coast Shelf Sci 72:432–446. doi: 10.1016/j.ecss.2006.11.028 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- USA Environment Protection Agency (USA EPA), 2000. Bioaccumulation Testing and Interpretation for the Purpose of Sediment Quality Assessment. EPA – 823 – R – 00 – 001.Google Scholar
- USA Environment Protection Agency (USA EPA), 2001. 2001 update of Ambient water Quality Criteria for Cadmium. EPA – 822- R – 01 – 001.Google Scholar