Diphenyl diselenide attenuates hepatic and hematologic toxicity induced by chlorpyrifos acute exposure in rats
In this study, we investigated the effect of diphenyl diselenide [(PhSe)2] on chlorpyrifos (CPF)-induced hepatic and hematologic toxicity in rats.
Rats were pre-treated with (PhSe)2 (5 mg/kg) via the oral route (oral gavage) once a day for 7 days. On the eighth and ninth days, rats were treated with (PhSe)2 (5 mg/kg) 30 min prior to CPF (50 mg/kg, by subcutaneous route). The aspartate aminotransferase, alanine aminotransferase, and lactate dehydrogenase activities were determined in plasma of rats. Lipid peroxidation, protein carbonyl, and non-protein thiol levels as well as catalase, superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione reductase, and gluthatione S-transferase activities were determined in livers of rats. Hematological parameters were also determined.
The results showed that CPF caused hepatic oxidative damage, as demonstrated by an increase in lipid peroxidation and protein carbonyl levels which was associated with a decrease in antioxidant defenses. CPF exposure caused a reduction in the leukocyte, indicating hematologic toxicity. (PhSe)2 was effective in attenuating these toxic effects caused by CPF exposure in rats.
The results indicated that (PhSe)2 was effective in protecting the hepatic and hematologic toxicity induced by acute CPF exposure in rats.
KeywordsPesticides Chlorpyrifos Selenium Organoselenium Liver damage Hematologic
- CIPAC Handbook, Volume H (1998) Analysis of technical and formulated pesticides. In: W. Dobrat and A. Martijn (eds). Black Bear Press, King’s Hedges Road, Cambridge, UK, 359 ppGoogle Scholar
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB (1974) Glutathione S-transferases, the first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249:7130–7139Google Scholar
- Misra HP, Fridovich I (1972) The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and simple assay for superoxide. J Biol Chem 247:3170–3175Google Scholar
- Paulmier C (1986) Selenoorganic functional groups. In: Paulmier C (ed) Selenium reagents and intermediates in organic synthesis, 1st edn. Pergamon Press, Oxford, pp 25–51Google Scholar
- Reitman S, Frankel S (1957) A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am J Clin Pathol 28:56–63Google Scholar
- Soltatinejad K, Abdollahi M (2009) Current opinion on the science of organophosphate pesticides and toxic stress: a systematic review. Med Sci Monit 15:75–90Google Scholar