Pharmaceuticals in the environment: an educational perspective
- 647 Downloads
Pharmaceuticals are an integral part of a dignified life. However, a lack of degradability and threats to the welfare of living beings cause concern due to their emission into the environment. There is also a lack of knowledge about cause and consequence. Therefore, we intend to contribute to the development of educational programmes which should increasingly include the topic ‘pharmaceuticals in the environment’.
Considering the current literature, we developed a corresponding series of worksheets (Online Resource) and sample solutions on an introductory level and integrated them into our curriculum.
The material compiled for the worksheets was arranged in a logical order and considers several subtopics. The worksheets aim to support the examination of related aspects such as environmental effects, emissions, wastewater treatment plants, degradation, degradation by-products, advanced oxidation processes, hydraulic retention times, half-life times, biosolids, exposition pathways, precautionary principle, classification schemes for pharmaceuticals and, related to the structure–activity relationship, the design for degradability. The students managed to work on the tasks in an appropriate manner and received a good overview of the occurrence and fate of pharmaceuticals in the environment.
Tasks that were presented to students regarding the topic ‘pharmaceuticals in the environment’ contributed to a better understanding of the possible risks of medical care on an introductory level. The tasks have been incorporated into a logic series of worksheets (Online Resource) with sample solutions available. Alternatively, the material would be appropriate for the preparation of a corresponding lecture on this topic.
KeywordsEducational material Degradability Green pharmacy Water contamination Endocrine disruptors Mixtures Environmental risks Risk mitigation
Wastewater treatment plant
- Böschen S, Lenoir D, Scheringer M (2003) Sustainable chemistry: starting points and prospects. Naturwissenschaften 90:93–102Google Scholar
- Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (2006) Guideline on the environmental risk assessment of medicinal products for human use. Report no. EMEA/CHMP/SWP/4447/00. European Medicines Agency, London. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Scientific_guideline/2009/10/WC500003978.pdf. Accessed 7 Nov 2010
- European Parliament (2004) Directive 2004/27/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 31 March 2004 amending Directive 2001/83/EC on the Community code relating to medicinal products for human use. European Parliament, Strasbourg. http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/pharmaceuticals/eudralex/vol-1/dir_2004_27/dir_2004_27_en.pdf; in German: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:136:0034:0057:DE:PDF. Accessed 12 Mar 2009
- Gros M (2010, personal communication) Personal communication with Meritxell Gros allowed us to identify two errors in Table 3 of the reference [Gros M, Petrovic M, Barceló D (2007) Wastewater treatment plants as a pathway for aquatic contamination by pharmaceuticals in the Ebro river basin (Northeast Spain). Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 26:1553–1562]. (1) Table 3, WWTP2: analgesics and anti-inflammatories in influent wastewaters were 0.3 g/day/1000 inhabitants instead of 1.60 g/day/1000 inhabitants. (2) Measuring results being noted below “WWTP3” have to change the place with those being noted below “WWTP2”. A correct presentation of the total loads is illustrated with Figure 1 in reference [Petrovic M, de Alda MJL, Diaz-Cruz S, Postigo C, Radjenovic J, Gros M, Barcelo D (2009) Fate and removal of pharmaceuticals and illicit drugs in conventional and membrane bioreactor wastewater treatment plants and by riverbank filtration. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 367:3979–4003]Google Scholar
- Gunnarsson B, Wennmalm Å (2006) Environmental risk assessment and environmental classification of drugs. In: Bengtsson B-E, Gunnarsson B, Wall T, Wennmalm Å (eds) Environment and pharmaceuticals. Apoteket AB (The National Corporation of Swedish Pharmacies), Stockholm County Council and Stockholm University, pp 117–125. http://www.janusinfo.se/Global/Miljo_och_lakemedel/lakemed_miljo_eng2007.pdf. Accessed 26 Mar 2011
- Hansmann R, Mieg HA, Frischknecht PM (2010) Qualifications for contributing to sustainable development. A survey of environmental sciences graduates. Gaia-Ecol Perspect Sci Soc 19:278–286Google Scholar
- Harremoës P, Gee D, MacGarvin M, Stirling A, Keys J, Wynne B, Guedes Vaz S (2002) Late lessons from early warnings: the precautionary principle 1896–2000. OPOCE (Office for Official Publications of the European Communities), Copenhagen. http://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/environmental_issue_report_2001_22; in German: http://www.umweltdaten.de/publikationen/fpdf-l/2697.pdf. Accessed 2 May 2011Google Scholar
- Institute for Social-Ecological Research GmbH (2008) Start: management strategies for pharmaceutical residues in drinking water—pharmaceuticals for human use: options of action for reducing the contamination of water bodies—a practical guide. http://www.start-project.de/downloads/start_Practical_Guide.pdf (in German: http://www.start-project.de/downloads/start.pdf). Accessed 29 Jan 2010
- Jacobsen EK (2004) Water filtration. J Chem Educ 81:224AGoogle Scholar
- Keil F, Bechmann G, Kümmerer K, Schramm E (2008) Systemic risk governance for pharmaceutical residues in drinking water. GAIA - Ecol Perspect Sci Soc 17:355–361Google Scholar
- Lund T (1999–2004) Working Document 21.06.2000, Endocrine disrupting substances—background paper, European Parliament, Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Consumer Policy. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/committees/envi/20000710/413253_en.doc. Accessed 10 Jan 2010
- Lundgren A (2006) Assessment in the chemicals control of environmental hazards and risks. In: Bengtsson B-E, Gunnarsson B, Wall T, Wennmalm Å (eds) Environment and Pharmaceuticals. Apoteket AB (The National Corporation of Swedish Pharmacies), Stockholm County Council and Stockholm University, 105–115, pp 117–125. http://www.janusinfo.se/Global/Miljo_och_lakemedel/lakemed_miljo_eng2007.pdf. Accessed 26 Mar 2011
- Pain DJ, Bowden CGR, Cunningham AA, Cuthbert R, Das D, Gilbert M, Jakati RD, Jhala Y, Khan AA, Naidoo V, Oaks JL, Parry-Jones J, Prakash V, Rahman A, Ranade SP, Baral HS, Senacha KR, Saravanan S, Shah N, Swan G, Swarup D, Taggart MA, Watson RT, Virani MZ, Wolter K, Green RE (2008) The race to prevent the extinction of South Asian vultures. Bird Conserv Int 18:S30–S48CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Petrovic M, de Alda MJL, Diaz-Cruz S, Postigo C, Radjenovic J, Gros M, Barcelo D (2009) Fate and removal of pharmaceuticals and illicit drugs in conventional and membrane bioreactor wastewater treatment plants and by riverbank filtration. Philos Trans R Soc Lond A 367:3979–4003CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Radke M (2010) Personal communication: the data demonstrated in the worksheet table were provided by Michael RadkeGoogle Scholar
- Shearouse WC, Waddell DC, Mack J (2009) Alternative solvent-free methodologies in the synthesis of pharmaceutical drugs. Curr Opin Drug Discov Dev 12:772–783Google Scholar
- Singer AC, Howard BM, Johnson AC, Knowles CJ, Jackman S, Accinelli C, Caracciolo AB, Bernard I, Bird S, Boucard T, Boxall A, Brian JV, Cartmell E, Chubb C, Churchley J, Costigan S, Crane M, Dempsey MJ, Dorrington B, Ellor B, Fick J, Holmes J, Hutchinson T, Karcher F, Kelleher SL, Marsden P, Noone G, Nunn MA, Oxford J, Rachwal T, Roberts N, Roberts M, Sacca ML, Sanders M, Straub JO, Terry A, Thomas D, Toovey S, Townsend R, Vouivoulis N, Watts C (2008) Meeting report: risk assessment of tamiflu use under pandemic conditions. Environ Health Perspect 116:1563–1567CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stockholm County Council (2011) Environmentally Classified Pharmaceuticals, Stockholm. http://www.janusinfo.se/Global/Miljo_och_lakemedel/miljobroschyr_2011_uppslag_eng.pdf. Accessed 2 May 2011
- United Nations (1992) a) Rio Declaration on Environment and Development; b) Agenda 21, United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, Rio de Janeiro. http://www.un.org/esa/sustdev. Accessed 10 Jul 2008