Depth-Resolved Full-Field Measurement of Corneal Deformation by Optical Coherence Tomography and Digital Volume Correlation
- 505 Downloads
The study of vertebrate eye cornea is an interdisciplinary subject and the research on its mechanical properties has significant importance in ophthalmology. The measurement of depth-resolved 3D full-field deformation behaviour of cornea under changing intraocular pressure is a useful method to study the local corneal mechanical properties. In this work, optical coherence tomography was adopted to reconstruct the internal structure of a porcine cornea inflated from 15 to 18.75 mmHg (close to the physical porcine intraocular pressure) in the form of 3D image sequences. An effective method has been developed to correct the commonly seen refraction induced distortions in the optical coherence tomography reconstructions, based on Fermat’s principle. The 3D deformation field was then determined by performing digital volume correlation on these corrected 3D reconstructions. A simple finite element model of the inflation test was developed and the predicted values were compared against digital volume correlation results, showing good overall agreement.
KeywordsCornea Optical coherence tomography Refraction correction Digital volume correlation 3D full-field deformation measurement Inflation test
The authors would like to thank the China Scholarship Council and the Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University, for their financial support. Professor Pierron gratefully acknowledges support from the Royal Society and the Wolfson Foundation through a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award.
- 36.Li J, Wang S, Singh M, Aglyamov S, Emelianov S, Twa M, Larin KV 2014. Air-puff OCE for assessment of mouse cornea in vivo, Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE.Google Scholar
- 40.Nguyen TM, Song S, Shi L, Wang RK, O'Donnell M, Shen TT, Huang Z 2014. Shear wave elastography of ex vivo human corneas using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, IUS, pp 217–220Google Scholar
- 59.Patel S, Marshall J, Fitzke Iii FW (1995) Refractive index of the human corneal epithelium and stroma. J Refract Surg 11(2):100–105Google Scholar
- 62.MacRae S, Schwiegerling J, Snyder RW (1999) Customized and low spherical aberration corneal ablation design. J Refract Surg 15(2 Suppl):S246–S248Google Scholar
- 63.Komai Y, Ushiki T (1991) The three-dimensional organization of collagen fibrils in the human cornea and sclera. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 32(8):2244–2258Google Scholar