Diffraction-Assisted Image Correlation for Three-Dimensional Surface Profiling
- 574 Downloads
The recently developed Diffraction-Assisted Image Correlation (DAIC) method (Xia et al. Exp Mech 53(5):755–765, 2013) provides a simple and accurate means for three-dimensional (3D) full-field deformation measurement. In the DAIC method, a test specimen is viewed through a transmission diffraction grating, resulting in multiple diffracted views of the same specimen that encode 3D geometric information. Here, we extend the original DAIC method to permit quantitative measurement of 3D surface profiles. We show, through a pinhole projection model, that the 3D shape of an object surface can be reconstructed by simply performing two-dimensional digital image correlation (2D-DIC) analysis between the negative and positive first-order diffracted views. Test results on a Barbie doll’s face and a set of well-defined cylindrical, conical and step surfaces are presented to illustrate the implementation and performance of the proposed surface profiling method.
KeywordsDigital image correlation Diffraction Surface profile measurement Image distortion calibration
S.X. and Z.P. gratefully acknowledge the support of the Haythornthwaite Foundation.
- 4.Bajaj CL, Bernardini F, Xu G (1995). Automatic reconstruction of surfaces and scalar fields from 3D scans. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive TechniquesGoogle Scholar
- 10.Paddock SW (1999) Confocal laser scanning microscopy. Biotechniques 27:992–1007Google Scholar
- 14.Denisyuk YN (1962) Photographic reconstruction of the optical properties of an object in its own scattered radiation field. Sov Phys Doklady 7:543–545Google Scholar
- 18.Darrell T, Wohn K (1988) Pyramid based depth from focus. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern RecognitionGoogle Scholar
- 23.Sutton MA, Orteu J-J, Schreier HW (2009) Image correlation for shape, motion and deformation measurements: basic concepts, theory and applications. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 25.Notbohm J, Rosakis A, Kumagai S, Xia S, Ravichandran G (2013) Three-dimensional displacement and shape measurement with a diffraction-assisted grid method. Strain 49(5):399–408Google Scholar
- 29.Brown DC (1966) Decentering distortion of lenses. Photogramm Eng 32(4):444–462Google Scholar
- 35.Bouguet J-Y. Camera calibration toolbox for Matlab. http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/calib_doc/index.html#parameters